Should I go back on anti-depressants?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been having an especially tough time, I was seeing a therapist 6 months ago, but haven't taken any medication in a while. There have been a few times in the past 6 months where I have had very low days where I couldn't get out of bed and made excuses to not go to work. I have recently been thinking about self harm, so I've been researching cognitive behaviour therapy. For a while, colouring in and knitting really helped but right now even those hobbies are causing me anxiety. 

I'm 26 and I'm feeling a bit lost. This whole thing started almost 2 years ago, before which I felt fine really. 

I don't know if I should go back on to Citalopram 20mg 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

I feel that you should go back on the medication i went back on my zoloft, trazodone and lamotrigine with my ativan and i am feeling better. 

Go back on it, it will help you

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your message - my concern with the citalopram was that I felt a bit zombie-like when taking it, I struggled with emotions - it felt good because I was no longer constantly anxious, but I also still didn't feel like myself. 

Is there a 'better' medication than citalopram?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

There is no one medication better than the other.  Some of us have to try a medication, and if the side effects are too much, consult our doctors and try something else, until you find the one that works.  There are no silver bullets.  Medications affect everyone differently, because everyone has different chemistries. Hope you find something that works!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I recommend it, if it was helping you.  My opinion is if you don't like being miserable, you may consider counseling first?  To get a faster recovery studies have shown using medications and getting counseling help.  The reason I recommend medications is because you are thinking of self harm, which is a serious issue!  Please don't hurt yourself and get the help you needs as soon as possible!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment. I don't know how to access free counselling but I will go to the GP about the medication. My only concern was that I worry about the side effects - especially not knowing which ones are best to take 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up