Should I go back on antidepressents ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on/off antidepressents for about 10 years and most recently was on Effexor Xl which didnt help my anxiety/depression in any way (made things worse :o) so I had to withdraw which was torture to say the least.

Now on Lyrica which I was put on towards the end of withdrawal and after and the dose has been raised twice, most recently to 150mg a day.

My phychiatrist now wants me to return to antidepressents as suffering really bad with depression, anxiety and panic attacks at present, this time to try a drug called Lustral.

Im over 2 months off the antidepressents now and dont know whether I should give my body to readjust or whether Im not going to get better till I go back on them.

Doc said I have a chemical imbalance and these tabs are something I need?

Im confused, need advice guys

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It would be helpful if you used drug names not brand names.

Effexor is  venlafaxine (an SNRI) .   Lyrica is pregabalin (an anticonvulsant) .    Lustral is sertraline (an SSRI)

I think after 2 months off venlafaxine your body has  got used to the status quo.  I think you need therapy for the anxiety/depression.   Some people will suggest a talking therapy.  I suggest a medication, but which?

Sertraline acts rather like venlafaxine so may not help you.   You could try mirtazapine - as that acts differently. 

The fact that you have been on/off antidepressants for 10 years makes you  a better judge of what to do than most people on this forum! 

• Posted

The Physchiatrict suggested mirtazapine but said it makes you really heavy which I dont want as am after gaining so much weight already :o

I have always nearly been on ssris and they work for a certain amount of time and then stop working

• Posted

I am surprised you are putting on weight if you are anxious.  I found I lost weight.

My doctor suggested mirt to me but I initially declined because I too am overweight.  However I agreed because SSRIs gave me insomnia, and I am glad I did.  I take about 11mg.   It restored my appetite but not to more than before I became ill.        

• Posted

Yes I must be one of few who gain weight instead of lose weight when crippled with anxiety and depression, its awful gaining so much
    • Posted

Perhaps the reason is that you have more depression than anxiety.

You need some sort of therapy.

Perhaps a combination of meds will work.  A combination of mirtazapine with an SSRI or SNRI is well though of.  I myself take it (sertraline plus mirtazapine).  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.