Should i go back to my doctor?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, last Monday I went to my GP with a sore throat, which turned out to be an infection. She put me on an antibiotic. The infection then went down onto my chest ( I became chesty and have a bad cough) on Friday or Saturday. Now after finishing the antibiotic yesterday my chest is still 50/50 and I have a head cold. (  I forgot to say I'm slightly asthmatic and on an inhaler ). To make things worse, tonight I had to run to the toilet with a terrible pain in my stomach, which I still have now. I feel like I want to get sick but can't and I have diarrhoea ( not sure, but I'm guessing a stomach bug). I dunno if it's just me overreacting, but should I be concerned about all these coming one after another?? I've got an overnight hike on Thursday for school and now I'm afraid I won't be able to take part. I'm starting to worry about the antibiotic resistant diseases that are around nowadays. ( I know it's unlikely). I

Can anyone give advice on what I should do next?

Thanks,Jack

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jack smile

If you've had an infection then it will have an adverse effect, especially on your chest. My youngets son is asthmatic and colds/flu/infections knock him sideways

It's probable you have a tummy bug. The infection will have left your resistance low, as though it opens the door to other ills Also, antibiotics can cause tummy upsets

If you are so worried phone the GP surgery in the morning ,or the local Pharmacy and ask for advice

Don't worry your young head about antibiotic resistant diseases! The likelihood of you being seriously ill are non existant

Put your mind at rest by phoning for advice.

Keep off the dairy foods for the next few days, ie,eggs, milk,cheese.

Try to have soup and toast to give your tummy and bowels time to recover. Keep hydrated because diarrhoea sucks the fluids out of the body

Stomach pain and diarrhoea go hand in hand. It's nature's way of ridding the body  of bacteria.. It's the body's waste disposal system.

Rest, liquids, light meals

You'll be okay, honey

Helensmile

• Posted

Hi Helen, I was at my doctor this morning, she told me that it's just mucus coming down onto my lungs from my head cold. She said she couldn't give me an antibiotic because I was only on one. I'm not worried about my lungs, I'm worried about doing my hike tomorrow. Its overnight, and we're going up the mountains. I'm afraid I'll get halfway and end up having an asthma attack or something. My doctor told me I am ok to go, but I don't think I should with the flare in my asthma. I just don't know what to do

• Posted

Hi there sweetie,

well, my son ( big boy now, fully grown adult ) has asthma as I said, and personally I'd nail his feet to the floor before let him to go on a hike of any kind, let alone overnight

You know, I know, how dreadful asthma attacks are, Jack. Plus you have had an infection, you've still got residual mucus and you had a tummy bug. This is no time to be tackling mountains. This is the time to recover and get wel

Please, please, Jack, get yourself 100% fit before you go contemplate any hike!

Now I'm worriedcry You won't go, will you?

If you do I'll hunt you down and slap your ears

Hugs, Jack xx

• Posted

Yeah, I don't think I'll go. I've let the school know I'm not going and now have the next 2 days off! Only thing is, there's no hike in May, but I'll go to the teacher in charge on Monday and see if there's anything else I can do. Health is more important.

Thanks for the reply,Jack

• Posted

Damn right you're not going!

What are you trying to do?

Give me a heart attack?cry

Hugs

• Posted

Definately head back to your doctor if the infection hasn't completely cleared you will need more antibiotics if you leave it it will only get worse. Also not sure if doctor mentioned it but while your on Antibiotic you really should take a probiotic because while antibiotics are highly effective, they can also lead to a number of unpleasant side effects. One of these side effects is the death of a large amount of ‘good’ bacteria, causing a bacterial imbalance in your gut. This, in turn, causes several common anti-biotic side effects such as diarrhoea and nausea. Other side effects also include intestinal discomfort and flatulence. This is simply because, along with killing harmful bacteria (as was intended), antibiotics also destroy many of the important, beneficial micro-organisms that make up the intestinal flora and help digestion and good health.

• Posted

Hi Becky, my doc never mentioned a probiotic, but I will mention it to her when I see her today, I will let you know what she said when I get backThanks, Jack
  • Posted

With asthma, you should always see your doctor with a chest infection, Jack.

I think the throat thing was viral so the antibiotic would have done no good. Now you have a chest infection which is probably bacterial - so it needs a new antibiotic, and you need to increase your preventer inhaler (the one you use every day, not the one you use for asthma attacks) and get your GP's advice on the other inhaler, too, which can generally be used as much as you need it.

Have you got an agreed action plan with your doctor as to what to do if your asthma becomes suddenly worse?

The stomach upset is very likely due to the first antibiotic.

Good luck! xx

• Posted

Hi Tess, I have an appointment for my GP this morning. Normally when I have a chest infection she ups my inhaler and puts me back on another one I'm on from time to time (beclozide I think it's called). My doctor normally just says to go up to her if my asthma gets worse. And my stomach is not as bad as it was last night. I wasn't able to eat my breakfast with it, but I haven't had diarrhoea .I will let you know what my doc says when I get back.

Thanks,Jack

• Posted

I'm just back from the doctors,she said it's the mucus going down onto the back of my lungs, and its not an infection. She said she can't give anything for it because I was on a strong antibiotic for the throat infection. She told me that I don't really need to take my inhalers. She told me I should be ok for the hike, but I'm not sure to go or not. 

• Posted

What hike? I wouldn't go on a hike if I had any kind of flare-up in asthma. It isn't safe. I think you're right not to go.

Doctors can and do prescribe different antibiotics consecutively, so she sounds a bit odd........

Don't take asthma lightly, Jack.

• Posted

It's an overnight hike up in the mountains. It's supposed to be really hard, I don't think I will go. I think there's another one in May, hopefully I'll be ok for it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.