Should I go up a dose

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys, my depression comes in waves for example I had been feeling ok and positive for three weeks and over the past few days it has crept up on me once again. Went to the doctor today and they have now put me up from 30mg to 40mg of citolopram but I'm not sure if the pills are actually really having a positive effect, is it a good idea to take the 40? Putting the dose up always seems to be my doctor's answer... 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

I think it's better to get regular exercise. Sometimes doctors do prescribe medication which should only really be prescribed as a last resort or for depression with a chemical basis. Perhaps yours is the latter? I have a friend who suffers from psychotic depression for instance-this runs in her family so it's likely biochemical in its origin. If it's social issues and events which are causing the problem then therapy is your best bet. We only live once, you really have to make it count. Every time you get sad thinking about something, try putting distance between yourself and it in your mind. Think, it's just an emotion, it doesn't define or rule me. I think getting active really helps too, especially helping other people eg volunteer for a charity. Also you could get creative. I've started designing and carving wooden rings/sculptures as christmas presents for family members. It gives you a creative outlet and something to focus on. Also listen to upbeat tracks, music is really helpful. Definitely set aside time for yourself to relax, whether it's burning incense, yoga or tai chi, or even just watching a (cheerful) film.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Check out Nick Vujicic on youtube too, definite inspiration
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have been going to the gym at least twice a week plus going for long walks, I am also going to group therapy and helping out at my local mind drama group. I have also been doing creative things such as making cards and making pen holders out of tin cans! But when I feel like this everything kind of goes out the window and all I can do is sleep and watch TV to take my mind off it and then a week later I'll probably be ok again. It seems like I just need to wait out the really bad periods... But I'm not sure if meds are the answer, thanks for your advice smile 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would try the higher dose for a few months and see if your body adjusts to the increased dose and that you feel better.

Richard

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sounds like you've got the voluntary work sorted :D Thats a really nice thing to do though, so my hat's off to you. I know depression myself, sometimes it's social/self-esteem issues (same). Something rung true for me that Paul Mckenna said. You can get all of these people who are rich, own fast cars are in loving relationships, but they're not happy. The issue is self esteem and your 'true self'. Your true self is the opposite of the negatives you think up about yourself. Eg I tell myself I'm stupid, but that's not productive and only makes be act stupid. The best advice is 'Don't fake it'. We spend so much time putting on a front for people and it's exhausting and only makes you miserable. Eg played a lot of computer games in the past, but kept that a secret for the fear of being labelled a 'nerd'. This meant that when someone I really liked tried to start a conversation with me, I pretended I didn't play games because I thought she'd suss me out for being a geek. She ended up in a relationship with my friend, a self-confessed computer game geek who didn't try to hide it. All in all, if I was myself I might have found common ground with this person and subsequently have ended up in a relationship with her. The moral of the story, don't be afraid of who you are, or letting it show, it might just be the best thing you ever did.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up