Should I Have Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had a scan that showed up some large gallstones.

I don't have any real pain from them. Is it worth me going through surgery at the moment ?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

yes. If you wait you will eventually have an attack and need immediate surgery.

• Posted

Loads of people have gallstones which are only found when they are scanned for something else, but, generally, if they aren't causing pain and other symptoms, they are left alone. It's thought there are many more walking around with gallstones who don't even realise they have them. I think you'll find doctors prefer to take a 'wait and see' policy rather than rush down the surgery path.

Just be aware of the main symptoms: right sided/central severe abdominal pain, pain in right shoulder blade, nausea, sickness and diarrhoea. I also had night sweats, tiredness and loss of appetite prior to the attacks happening and couldn't pinpoint why I felt so unwell generally until the attacks started. If you are affected, don't hang about and get your gallbladder removed as soon as you can. Otherwise adopt a wait and see policy. If it was me, I'd look into eating a healthy diet, avoiding food high in fat as this is a known trigger.

• Posted

As said above, no. Most surgeons only recommend surgery if they are accompanied by symptoms, there are many many people with stones and they dont cause issues, however when they do, it needs removing.
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I do have a bruised feeling in my right ribs and sometimes get

a bit of shoulder pain but that's it from what I can tell.

I only eat low fat and am on a restricted diet due to other issues ,

eg, IBS.Should I leave it alone for now or get it out ?

I was told that I am on the waiting list for removal after one attack of

sickness and diarrhoea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.