Should I or Shouldn't I? Believe i'm Hypothyroid Tests indicate otherwise

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello there,

First time posting here, I just had some independant lab results come back because I had an extreme suspicion that I was hypothyroid.

I am 30 years old now and for the last 5 years I have put on 70 lb sof weight that have surprised me along with horrible symptoms.

I was used to be a competitive wrestler and boxer and was competitive at 135 lbs of weight. I had extremely high recovery and could workout for hours each day and back to back practices. I would often do 2 hours of wrestling and 2 hours of boxing a day 5x a week.

I ballooned up to 214 lbs within about 11 months after I had stopped the sport for a while. I just figured I was fat and out of shape and it was due to my eating habits. 

I cleaned up all of my eating habits and dropped down to about 170-180 but c annot go lower. I currently sit at 190-195. I adopted an entirely vegan whole foods diet for about 4 months while boxing and wrestling 4 times a week along with a power lifting program I did for 5 months previously and am not losing any weight whatsoever.

The worst part is, is that I cannot recover from my workouts at all. I am sore every single day and i haven't worked out in 6 days and i'm still sore in my joints.

I have carpal tunnel and tarsal tunnel like symptoms.

My hands fall asleep when I lay down for bed and wake up in the mroning.

My pointer finger fingernails have weird ridges and some black streaks in them.

I have irrital bowel syndrome.

My sex drive dissappeared completely. My erections aren't as strong. My head if i let my hair grow will get red dry scaley patches that hurt and really bad dandruff. I have to shave my head often and the symptoms are lessened. 

My daily temperature on getting up in the morning is 96.0-97.3 degrees.

Most days it is 96.0-96.5.

I am constantly tired and fatigued. Don't want to get up to do anything. I sleep ok but have a super hard time getting up in the morning. I get 8 hours a day though.

I have this white solid ring (it's opaque and faint) on my tongue i heard was like a tongue ulcer that can be associated with hypothyroidism.

I just don't recognize myself in the mirror. My face is puffy and I have no jaw/cheekbones like I used to.

Here are my thyroid test results. They appear normal and my TSH is within range. I was seriously contemplating just ordering thyroid-s and doing it myself to see if i can rid of these symptoms. Could I still be hypothyroid although the medical world says i'm not according to these results?

Posted picture below of results.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Think I should add too that the reason I quit at 25 was because I was getting extremely sore and lost all my agression/will to engage in the combat sports. I started not to recover between and just got sick of it.

I think that now looking back it was all because of possible hypothyroidism.

• Posted

Interesting. Your symptoms sound very hypo indeed. I also present with carpal tunnel! Super painful!!! You don't have antibodies, but I've also heard some people with hashimotos don't test positive for antibodies if their immune system is so whacked, but I don't know how common that is. I'm having symptoms right now with a TSH about 2.5, and in fact good endocrinologists know that TSH below 2 is ideal. So I think it's possible, but without more thorough testing for other things, difficult to say for sure. So you're doing this testing yourself? Do you not have the option of seeing an endocrinologist?

• Posted

I have a general physician doctor's appointment on August 11th. They may refer me to an endicronologist, but i'm not sure if they will with these test results now. Was going to get checked for Low Testosterone and Vitamin D as well at the physician appointment coming up. 

I ordered some 60mg capsules of Thyroid-S and was thinking of just taking 1 a day split in half morning and evening and see if any symptoms abate by the time August 11th comes.

• Posted

I see! I would just push your doctor to refer you even if they don't want to. You have to be persistent sometimes and be your own advocate. I don't really know about dosing for Thyroid-S but if you try that I would just watch for any negative symptoms from that. On the other hand you might not notice much of a change if you are hypo and it's not high enough a dose. It can also take time to notice an effect. I really understand wanting to get starting doing something though! It's hard feeling so crappy and just having to wait wait wait sad

• Posted

Hello I thought I would update my post with the final results. I can't seem to edit previous posts?

Here are the results attached below. It seems my Reverse T3 is high, is this someone I should be concerned about. I'm not really sure what hte Reverse T3 results mean compared to the rest along with my symptoms. Should I try treating it the same way by just going with my plan of 1 grain of Thyroid-S a day and go from there?

• Posted

Given your high reverse T3 result I'm not actually sure about your plan to start on Thyroid-S. From what I've read that is more of a complicated situation and you may need to check for other issues to fix the problem (iron levels, cortisol, selenium). I'm not sure if I can link to outside sites here but I would check out stopthethyroidmaddess. They seem to have a lot of good info! I would try to do some research so that you are educated about it before your doctors appt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.