Should I or shouldnt I?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My knee is not in agony but limiting what I can do much more than it was. As a keen traveller (Ankor Wat is on the list) this is bad news and I dont like the pain much either. I'm 71, will weigh 164 lbs soon and reasonably active though I dont play sport. I will need a TKR. I've been reading your stuff and I'm terrified even though I have a good consultant. Feedback gratefully received!!!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm 70  . . similar situation, it was limiting but not like some people who have been in excruciating pain.  I will honestly say that for the first month I bitterly regretted having it done, but now at nine weeks. . well, it's well on the way to recovery.  And you have to remember that some people come through very well . .liz who has 130 bend and she achieved that without pain!  It's a decision only you can take.  I have found it a rather hard struggle, perhaps because I wasn't sufficiently prepared for the impact it would have on me . . and on my husband, who has had to put up with my moods and bring me cups of tea etc. etc.!  I also thought. . now or never!  If I leave it much longer,  I shall be too old (and especially my husband who is ten years older) to cope with this, so I went ahead.  Yes, I think in most cases the first couple of weeks are pretty awful, and the fact that this is a major operation with a great deal of stress on the body makes it hard to be positive and get on with things . . but in the vast majority of cases, it works.  If you decide to go ahead with it, stick with the forum and you will find it a great help I'm sure!
  • Posted

PS also a keen traveller . .round the world twice, and visited 56 countries so far. . still quite a few to go!

• Posted

Thanks for this Martina - just back from seeing the consutant who said it would be painful at first, an 80 per cent satisfaction rate and an expectation of being reasonably OK at 20 weeks. My BMI is average and I need till July to get in shape for it (weight, quads) so I think I'll have it done then.

South Africa next year!

• Posted

That's the way!  Carpe Diem etc. . Stay with us on the forum for lots of good advice from those who have done it!!!
  • Posted

I am 80 and the same weight as yourself. Having had the TKR 4 years ago I was ready to travel again after a year and enjoyed visiting 13 countries in the following two years. I am now incapacitated with other health problems otherwise I would be off again! Rail travel was pleasant but cruising was much easier and thoroughly enjoyable, especially the swimming, dancing and sunbathing on board. I am hoping to  take the round the world trip before I die!
    • Posted

Yes, love cruising. . done 27 of them in every continent (except Antartica .)  We did 'round the world' by a mixture of plane, train and ship . . it was great fun, but nine weeks of  quite hard work!  I think the cruise would be too long for me. . too many days at sea!
    • Posted

Commiserations re incapacitation Daphne and lets hope its strictly temporary. I have mentally prepared myself for a year of non travelling but maybe I can beat the odds! Thanks for the response.
  • Posted

Hi there Gail, big decision for you my freind. I am 83and 7months post op. my knee was painful in flare ups and I had had several falls which GP put down to thee knee. Also I was looking really knocked kneed because the leg wanted to a different way to the rest of my body. I had my granddaughters wedding to look forward to in November .my op was on the 7august  but I was totally unprepared the the pain, emotional trauma and sleepless nights that followed. I am walking ok now and the knee is defiantly straighter. Do I regret having it done, yes. I am 2stone lighter because I lost my appetite and it hasn't come back. I was 10 stone 7 when I started I am now 8/6. I would advise you to think about it long and hard. I was always on the go and worked full time till I was 77. So there were lots of plus,s on my side, but I am not the same person that I was that's for sure. Hope this post helps you and if you do go ahead remember we all heal at different rates, and you could well be one of the lucky ones. I wish you well 
    • Posted

Gosh - you obviously had a bad problem pre-op. I just want to be able to enjoy walking without having to sit down every half mile. Thanks for sharing your experience - it's all going into my mental database! Dont lose any more weight. Hope you've addressed this loss of appetite with the medics.
  • Posted

Well, I was 75 when I had my first TNK and still working full time in my nursery garden but going from cane to two sticks and then Zimmer frame gave in and took three months off (December 10 the till End of February) for the op and recovery after which I perked up and continued to work until now. I, too have had a number of falls because of my other knee giving way and so far have fallen gently, just bruised. I am not ready to give up my work and don't want to risk having hip fractures so I am going to take the risk of another three months off next winter for the second TKR and if I have to retire with a worse leg, so be it. But I am really sorry to hear of dear folk who have and are having a bad time after TKR. Do you think it is 50/50 or do the successful ones just not need tis forum so much?
    • Posted

Daphne, that is exactly what I was wondering. . are we mainly the ones who have had a hard time, and  are finding recovery very painful and slow. . perhaps there is an army of successful TKR's out there who have never bothered to look for a forum because they have recovered and quickly . . However, I find it hard to understand how anyone can recover without pain from such a massive intrusion into the leg .  . and our new TKR's, Louise and Terri, don't seem to be having a picnic either!
  • Posted

I'm just 5 weeks post op and there's no doubt that this has been a painful operation. I have fractured various bones and crushed one leg in a motorcycle accident, but this is the most sustained painful time of my life. I've managed it thanks to ice packs and a nice GP who gave me extra painkillers for the nights.

I'm 64 and lost 3 stones before surgery, hoping to defer it. But the knee was fit only for the glue factory and I needed narcotics to ease the pain. I think you'll know your time because your mobility really decreases fast. I was finding it hard to get round the garden and hated shopping. I was first told I needed surgery 9 years ago, so I think I waited long enough to take the plunge!

My surgeon wasn't specially chosen, but just the local chap here in Scotland. He did a tidy one for me and the scar isn't bad at all. I am a bit anaemic, due to blood loss which didn't need transfusion, but I have some iron tablets and I just get a bit tired. I pace myself with the housework and schedule rests and exercises to fit in with the painkillers. I have a walking stick and can get around slowly. I bought cheap toilet rails and a shower stool before the op and they have been useful.

Every day is a bit better and once the stiffness is eased in the morning, I can manage nicely. I was able to walk to the toilet and shower in hospital from the day after the operation and this little bit of independence was encouraging.

Not everybody has complications, sickness or uncontrolled pain. I do tolerate strong painkillers well, which helps. I also did as much leg exercise as I could before surgery to build a little muscle up. I am generally well and have no serious chronic illness. Older people are more likely to have underlying problems and that means recovery is harder for them.

Plan how you will manage your rehab afterwards and take the exercises seriously. It seems to work! It's early days, but although I haven't enjoyed the last few weeks, I wouldn't be scared of getting the other knee done in due course.

• Posted

Thank you for your words Lame woman! Encouraged by your experiences as I'm still in the needing it done but not quite there yet group. I'm 60 and have been told for 8 years (after arthroscopy) that my knees need replacing. 

Wishing you you well for your continued recovery! 

Kind regards,

Gill 

Ormskirk Lancashire 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.