Should I restart antidepressants after a prior poop-out?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I feel a bit like I've hit a "brick wall" in recovery from anxious depression. I've been signed off for a couple of months now (and unemployed) but everytime I try to 'sign on' again to look for work I have a meltdown. So far I've been getting on my bike every other day, spending time using things I've learnt from counselling (worry time, keeping a rota - mixed results), eating well and spending what time I can with my partner. Taking time off has helped tremendously but I don't feel stable and the majority of days still... hurt like hell, frankly.

Antidepressants and me don't get along that well; most don't work or oddly enough, make me worse despite a good run on half the SSRIs and mirtazapine. Venlafaxine works.. but pooped out to the point where it wasn't working in the slightest. But the first year on it was great, after that, not so much.

Has anyone been through a similiar situation? My GP tells me only I can decide but I'm torn - I want to push myself but most days I feel like (and do) crawl back to my bedroom out of exhaustion, distress and stay there to sleep, try to make sense of it all or just focus on seeing if I can get any enjoyment out of this free time.

I'll be grateful for any advice smile

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there is nothing to stop you looking for work whilst you are on ESA is there?   Test the waters until you sign back on and ease yourself in gently.   If you find you are ok with looking for work and interviews then signing back on won't seem so difficult.  x

• Posted

I'm coming to the end of my last sick note, so not much time to test the waters. Three months off and you feel like you have to be ready by now but I still think "testing the waters" would be a better option. Honestly though, I'm afraid to ask for another sick note unless its a phased return one.

That said, I am doing better - actually eating and sleeping without "jolting awake" in the early hours. Just very depressed and anxious most days. It's difficult guaging whether to get back to what must be done. Though I'm guessing it's best to try and see what happens.

• Posted

Yes - mirtazapine is a particularly sedating and appetite-augmenting TCA and it may be worth trying a less sedating, more noadrenergic one.

I myself have tried venlafaxine with codeine, and it replicates the feeling of tramadol remarkably. Having said that, beware of tolerance and withdrawals - use conservatively only during crises.

Switching GPs to a more sympathetic one might help. I am a 19y/o dude, undergrad, who would have no reason to be depressed at all... except that family history of depression is HUGE and I also have endocrine issues.

• Posted

Hello Willb,

Did you have success after returning to lexapro? I was on lexapro for 5 years and had major success. 4 months ago it pooped out and am unable to find the same relief in Paxil or Zoloft. I would love to return to lexapro but I'm curious if it worked for you a second time around. Anyone know what the timeline is to wait before returning to the same ssri?

• Posted

I restarted Lexapro 20 mil 4 weeks ago and I see some improvement! I was on 10 mil for 9 yrs when it seemed to stop working! Went to my GP and he increased it to 20 and hopefully I will get the full effect after 6 weeks as that seems to be the time it should fully kick in! 
    • Posted

Thank you for replying WilB. At any point did you stop taking it when it pooped out? How long of a break did you take?
    • Posted

Never stopped taking it! Just  realized  one day it stopped working and my symptoms returned!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.