Should I switch antidepressants?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all

I have been on and off citalopram for years- my latest antidepressant was sertraline. I have just weaned myself off it after about 5 months on it.

I felt terrible on it- awful digestive side effects, nightmares, more anxious than off it etc- and with my doctors supervision the plan was to switch to fluoxetine.

However- i have been offered a job abroad for three months which is brilliant news. However- i leave in 3 weeks and i am only due to start fluoxotine this coming thursday. I will be in europe- im not sure how accessing the fluoxotine would work or if my doc in the UK would be happy to issue me with a 3 month supply straight off the bat.

Part of me is considering not starting the medication.

ive been feeling down the last few days on no medication at all- but i did feel like the dark thoughts were worse on the sertraline.

im in two minds over this. I felt terrible on sertraline and kept going with it as i kept being told it would kick in. However- citalopram worked fine for years until it stopped.

Im so scared that the fluoxtine will effect me the same way as sertraline did- essentially making me want to end it all.

I suppose having a chat with the doctor is the best course of action but just wondering if anyone has any perspective on this.

Thank you all

x

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi Rebecca, well done posting on here firstly! i need to then congratulate you again because you have a job abroad. is it the type of job you want to do? it could be the thing you need! you may not need ANY antidepressants at all whilst you're abroad. is there any way you can do some mindfulness? i know it's not for everyone but neither are antidepressants! if you've reacted to 2 then they're obviously not agreeing to you. try every other way to sort your depression than tables! i am anti antidepressants because i have had awful experience with them. i wish luck on your job, this may make you feel rotten but at least you would have tried it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.