Should I take a new drug?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.

I have often commented in the past about the ineffectiveness of anti depressant drugs. After going through major issues, very traumatic ones, I have suffered from depression and pretty bad addiction issues.

I've been on venlafaxine for years. But it's of no use. It's got to the point where I can't stop taking it as my life is just finely poised at the moment and the doctor doesn't want to do anything that could upset that. After really accepting that drugs do not really work, I've tried to practice what I preach and do things like exercise getting myself out, trying new things etc. This has been really really hard for me and to be honest, even though I've battled and am winning my addiction problems, I am still hugely depressed. I mentioned to the doc about taking a new drug not so much that I think it will cure Me,but more I will take anything I can get that might ease it somewhat.

So he reluctantly said maybe mertazapine

I was wondering if anyone's been in a similar situation and what did you do?

I find there can be alot of scare mongering on here, especially with regards to meds and isolated bad experiences, so I'm not really looking for info on withdrawals. Just anyone who decided to try this medication.

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Many on these sites will be taking Mertazapine wait around and someone will discuss this medication

Many drugs given for AD and Anxiety give different side effects all patients are different so generally speaking what is good and clear for one may be a real problem to someone else.

BOB

• Posted

I've also battled addiction problems. I've been on many anti depressants this year and none have helped at least not the ssri ones. Mirtzapine might be an option although it reportedly does cause weight gain??? I was briefly on it but my head wasn't in the right place for meds so was on it a few weeks. It's meant to help with sleep. My sleep was a bit better on 30mg but still woke early. I'm currently on sertraline and really struggling with side effects. It's early days but I'm not sleeping and feel demotivated. So mirt might be an option for me but scared of weight gain! But can't go on with no sleep @ Good luck let me know how you get on

• Posted

Hi as well as sertraline I take a low dose of mirtazapine to help me sleep at night.  It does help quite a bit so maybe that's the answer for you too?  I haven't put on any weight at all at that level.  x

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Definitely worth considering. I'm at the doctors next week I know they will say it's early days but by night time I feel wide awake and wired. Never sleep brilliantly on ssri but much worse this time. Do you feel groggy on a morning or does that pass with time?? Thank you x

• Posted

Thanks Carolyn.

It all makes sense thanks. You see I've been on venlafaxine for years so know all about coming off them. And with regards weight gain, I've been on olanzapine twice in my life, both times putting on about 3 stone.

I'll be honest though, I've seen some posts with people complaining about little side effects. I'd much rather take putting on three stone or being abit tired, then constant pain self harm addiction and suicide attempts.

My main concern is around the de-personslised feelings people get. Well that and it not working at all. But I've been Through years of addiction so I don't want to go back to living in a haze. But so far, 6 months, I've over come 2 addictions, repaired relationships, but still don't feel happy. Still don't have friends or many activities.

So wondering if the potential benefits of mertazapine out weight the negatives.

Ted

• Posted

Hi ted

I am on mirtazapine for depression. Unfortunatly for me its not been great but im super sensitive to any medication not just ads. I am very small only 5'3 and 8 stone so the sedative effect on me is 24/7 even at 15mg. If you tolerated venlafaxine which is a very strong ad then they say you will tolerate mirtazapine added i was told to look up californian rocket fuel. I will add that all thiugh im struggling with side effects and cant get off when i was given it last nivemeber i was in a bad way was not eating and felt suicidal this gave me almost instant relief. I hope this is of help and everyone is different so this might be the way forward. As you know venlefaxine is one very hard drug to get off

• Posted

Hi I started on prozac which didn't do a thing,  then went on to mirtazapine.  I didn't stay on them very long because they made me very sleepy and I was working full time then which made it impossible.  I went on to sertraline and find they work well for me,  though I am on 150 mgs.  x

• Posted

It sounds like this could well be a possibility for me to try. Partly because I do have sleep problems and that's why the doctor mentioned it firstly.

I've not really experienced medications enough to know about the groggyness or the de-personslised feelings. When I was on other things, I was pretty much totally addicted to alcohol anyway so I spent years in that haze.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.