Should I try pain patches

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had total knee replacement and cannot recieve relief from oral pain meds, perkocet 10mg every 4 hours, i had gastric bypass 10 yrs ago and dont metabolize nutrients and oral meds, should I try patches? Anyone had this problem or are familiar with pain patches?

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes Pain patches would work very well, i worked in Medicine for a long time and thats what a lot of the patients did.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Patches are used in conjunction with the drug Fentanyl, probably the most potent opioid out there...40x stronger than morphine...blows hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco) and oxycodone (Percocet, Oxycontin) away.  No idea if a doc would even prescribe it.  No idea of the strength equivalent levels but it's not something to played around with.  Gotta ask your doc.  Fentanyl is very serious stuff...mostly used for terminal cancer patients.

On the other hand, there is something in between...Hydromorphone (Dilaudid).  Way stronger than Vicodin or Percocet but not in the Fentanyl range.  Even so, it's very strong so 2mg po can knock you down; 2mg iv will send you to La-La-Land...  It's my drug of choice for kidney stones since the other opioids have little to no effect on me.

I'd forget the Fentanyl patch and ask for some Dilaudid.  That could help you a lot.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there - I have an issue with not tolerating meds to the stomach either and have been using Voltarin suppositories and Paracetemol with great success. Apparently it is the best delivery system for meds anyway as the live does not destroy any of the active ingredients - it all gets into your system.

I hadIV Tramadol in hospital.

I am 7 weeks post op and doing really well.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would say call your surgeon and explain in detail they would have to give you something else feel better soon
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up