Shoulder pain continues almost a yr after surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been through 3 surgeries on my left (dominant) shoulder. Surgery 1 was for labrum repair. Surgery 2 was for bicep tendinosis (sp). Surgery 3 was for FS adhesive capsulitis release all within 1 yr. I have 2 and a half months to go till I'm a yr out of my last surgery. I'm still struggling with pain and discomfort. I still have a lot of inflammation especially after doing my job for 4 hrs. My Dr just keeps telling me it should all subside as time goes on and he's hopeful I'll be able to get to a functional range of motion but it's still to be determined until 1 yr after my last surgery. He thinks I'll be able at some point to be able to do my job for 8 hrs but also in the next breath says I most likely won't be able to make it to retirement from my job. At this point I feel as if I'm worst off then before the first surgery. And now my right shoulder is starting to bother me from over use in the past 2 yrs dealing with my left shoulder. I'm getting so frustrated with all of this. I'm feeling like I'm going to be dealing with this for the rest of my life. This is more of a venting post cuz no one I know has been through this. What are some of your experiences with long term effects from shoulder surgery?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I thought I had problems because of failed cuff repair - considering reverse in December for supra repair failure.
    • Posted

I don't even know if mine can be fixed. Everyone just keeps saying wait till it's been a yr. You'll be better. I still can't even move my are in some directions. 😕

• Posted

Hi there, I can totally relate! I have also had 3 surgeries on my left shoulder in the last year! The First was arthroscopic fracture fixation and labral repair, second was revision of the first surgery done five days later because of an omission, and the third was a capsular release at 7.5 months for adhesive capsulitis like you. I am actually still having problems too, I have no external rotation at the side. I may have to have a fourth surgery in the next month or two! For a small percentage of people, a second capsular release is necessary. If you are still very limited in rom after almost a year, I think you need more intervention. Unfortunately function doesn't just return for postoperative stiffness. It is not the same as idiopathic frozen shoulder

What are are your estimated rom measurements for forward flexion, behind the back, and external rotation? I am 42 and have worked extremely hard and have full 180 flexion, 90% behind my back to my other arm, about 65-70 degrees external in abduction (arms up against the wall behind) but zero external at the side. I just had a cortisone injection this week to see if it reduces impingement pain when I raise my arm up and down to the side. Have you tried those?

• Posted

Unfortunately for me, my case is workman's comp. The last 2 surgeries comp did not pay for right away cuz they were fighting me in court so my insurance had to pick it up. During that time my insurance only covered 30 physical therapy appts. I was going 3 times a week after the first surgery cuz of the frozen shoulder. Then went every day for a week 2 months later for the adhesive capsulitis release. Needless to say I ran out of pt quickly. My 3rd surgery was July 26 2017 and after stretching my pt out (going 1 time every other week) my last appt was the last week of September 2017. I'm pretty sure that's why some of my range sucks. I can barely touch my left back pocket as far as other numbers I'm not sure cuz I haven't been in pt. I'm almost at a full flexion but my shoulder wings out when I get so far. I have a lot of impingement in the elbow. I get pain that shoots down from my elbow when lifting straight out from the side and can not get my palm straight up. When the arm is at my side and bent at the elbow is can not move it outward. Kind of feels like the bicep is to short to move any further. I'm sure some of my pain is nerve damage at the surgical site because of the type of pain I get. I'm just extremely frustrated at this point. Oh! And I did recently win my comp case so they had to pay all my medical bills

• Posted

I also hurt my shoulder at work and can relate to you with the workers comp its a nightmare to deal with . I really wish the best on your recovery tho .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.