Shouldn't I be better?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Diagnosed with mild Diverticulitis on 7/14, I took 7 days of Augmentin. Main symptoms were pain throughout abdomen and stomach. Lots of bloating and discomfort. The main pain dissipated, but now...a few days after I stopped taking the antibiotic, I feel like I'm back to square one. Abdominal pain, bloated. Haven't had an appetite since this all began, and when I do eat, I immediately have increased pain. Any ideas or suggestions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ah the great Mr S'cat! 

I had a really bad attack 17th of June, almost nailed it over 10 days rest, ABs etc, then (foolishly!) went back to work ... I retriggered it and now I am v slowly getting better but still have belly pain and we're approaching August!

My GP has advised not doing ABs again for now (only if actively feverish) BUT had a very good idea which might be relevant to you. The idea is to drop stomach acid production on the basis that cant be making life easy for the gut - also things like stress cause excess acid production (in my case at least) I have noticed a direct correlation between a strong stress event and feeling rubbish - so I'm trying a course of PPI anti-acids to see if it helps nail this attack. It is early days but my initial sense is it might be helping.

Good luck!

• Posted

James...

Thanks for such a helpful post! I just came from the Dr and he said the Diverticulitis may still be smouldering, although I had taken 7 days of Augmentin. He suggested another 7 days, but I'm just not sure I want to do that. Seems I also have IBS, so my own theory is that part of the problem is that. I do really like the decreasing belly acid thought and have also wondered what role stress plays in all of this. My stress is directly linked to my health concerns!! What a vicious circle! What I really hate is that I feel like a sick person now...like I'll never be "normal" again. Thus the name, Scared death! (Ms. Not Mr. Btw) :-)

• Posted

Haha Sorry Ms S'Cat! Dont know why I thought you were a guy - must have misread some earlier post - deepest appologies!

I think this thing is working for me - I had the best nights sleep in a long time last night - it is still there but not as bad - so might be worth a try (the PPI are over the counter in the UK)? 

Yes the whole issue of IBS style triggers is very difficult. I have determined that peanuts are definitely bad for me but my tentative model for what is happening (sharp nut flakes scraping the gut wall!) was knocked on the the head by my doctor. She made the following thing clear : the only thing that fails to get dissolved in the stomach is cellulose (reason why cows have a second one) so by the time nuts hit the colon they are just gunk ... so apparemtly IF peanuts are a trigger then it is via some intollerance mechanism (as Im not elergic) ... so the plot thickens. I dont think the issue of triggers is very well understood.

Stess definitely has an effect for me and it seems to be really quite fast (an hour or less after the stimulous). I could understand if worry about the condition is not helping! 

Try and Chill S'Cat!

Im trying to re educate myself as well way from the "I'm an ill person" idea also. The two pronged assault does like this:

(i) Many people have this who are never ill with it. It is only, say, discovered after their death - thus you could argue that the appearence of diverticula is no more an illness than, say, wrinkles under the eyes: they are unsightly perhaps in a culture obsessed by youth but just a feature of aging...

then 

(ii) Once I'm well again (which I will be soon) and I know how not to trigger an attack, then (i) above applies!

haha - what do you think - you buying it?

• Posted

Hello. Hope you're feeling a little better today, Scareddcat. I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago and I'm still struggling with knowing what to eat as so much sets my gut off again. I'm living off white fish, steamed with a little mashed potato or soup. There's a good recipe for "Bone Broth" in the book "the clever guts diet" by Dr Michael Mosley- I find that broth easy on the gut. I also bought some Slippery Elm food supplement from the health store,as recommended by  Dr Joan McClelland in her book " What you need to know - Diverticulitis". I make it up as a drink and that  is soothing on the gut.

I'm finding the fatigue really difficult as I'm used to a busy life but have no energy at the moment. I'm trying Mindfulness and meditation which all helps me to have  control and to work towards returning "back to normal".

Best wishes.

Moira biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.