Shutting off

Posted , 6 users are following.

Recently I have locked myself in the bathroom when I get home from work . My fiancé will knock on the door & talk to me but I take ages to respond is this normal??? I hate it & I get so anxious and depressed I know it upsets my fiancé I also know I need to talk more and be less stressed and keep busy but this is hard. Is anyone experiencing this too? I won a wedding dress competition and I am due to go get the dress on the 25th but I'm so anxious about it I don't think I can go as I'm nervous to drive why is this happening to me? I'm very fidgety anything I do I have to go do someone else to stop getting into a panic . 

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hya L, how long has this been going on? You said recently, but do you think you've always a bit of anxiety

Have you had a chat to your GP? 

• Posted

Hi Martyn 

I would say on and off around a year. I think you are right it has always been there lingering but I let it get far too bad before I went to see the doctor. I am on Fluoxetine which I feel is now starting to kick in as I havent had a panic attack this week or cried for two days. How are things for you?

Lor xx

• Posted

Mm, some days are better than others, jan/ feb this year was when I was at my worst. . Think if it had carried on I risked losing my marriage or worse my life. . 

It's so good to have an open forum to say how I felt without friends & work colleagues giving thier opinions. . I started sertraline  & by & large the depressive/ manic phases are much more settled, though there are days (I have no idea why), when the suicide compulsions surface! 

But I'm on counselling (which is really helpful, referred by GP) & the anti-dep dose i tweak when needed!! Think I had this since teens but always managed to keep them at bay, but I think there is a definite time when that's no longer an option!

Really glad things are getting on the right track for you, I think it's not always straight forward & easy for other halves to understand, but it's great to hear how you're doing. smile

• Posted

sounds like things are getting on top of you ,i think its more than your wedding that is making you stressed,please make two lists one for what you can deal with now and the other takes more time (baby Steps) get rid of all the small things first it will lighten your burden and you really need to talk to someone soon as this is not healthy for you 

You could prob talk to your fianc`e abot a few but it sounds like you need to talk to a friend to get things into prespctive a fresh view with someone who you trust 

dont keep shutting your fianc`e away it is bad for your relationship you are putting a wedge between you before you even start your married life together

• Posted

Hi Lori ~

I agree with what everyone else said regarding your situation.  You keep shutting your fiance out and it could slam that door for good.  You don't want that, right?  Also, your anxiety sounds a bit over the top.  You could or should go see your GP as they can give you a script for something to help ease that.  Just know that just because you select to be on some kind of medication now, it doesn't have to be forever.  That's the thing, some of the medications are made to help with immediate situations and until you're over those situations, it won't go away so medicating can be of great help.  

Also,  you've won a flippin' wedding dress!  How cool is that!  You have many things to be grateful for and that being your fiance' and the other a beautiful wedding gown.  So, move quickly to the doctor and ask them to assist you while you go through a very stressful time planning a wedding.  That may only be the time you need help via medication.

I wish you luck.

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi Frustrated 

Thank you for your reply & to everyone else you are really helping me. I have found I am talking to my fiancé more usually I would say nothing is wrong when I get home but lately I will say today has been a down day or sometimes an up day. I've started a diary I'm finding this great I haven't written one since I was 14!! 

I was on Diazepam for the evenings as this was my worst time I think because I'm so busy from work the tiredness hits me in the evening and I get emotional. 

I have decided I will go to get the dress even if it is a down day I have things to look forward to and I will not let this beat me. One day at a time 

Always here for you all 

Lor 

Xx

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your support. I have not cried for two evenings in a row now I feel this is good progress I hope you are all having a good day. I am feeling lost but maybe everyone feels a little lost in life my new job is nice I just worry I will not be good enough I am looking forward to the weekend but try to keep busy as it is so easy to shut off and hide from the world. I initially felt bad on fluoxetine but I've found it the last couple if days I am a little less anxious and emotional . Take care all 

Lor xx remember you are never alone 

• Posted

I'm very happy to hear this, Lor.  Looks like the treatment you're doing, is working.  Talking, however painful it may be, always finds results.  When it comes to an escalating point, it's time to shut it down for a while, then start talking about it when both sides are calmed.

You will have a wonderful, fun-filled wedding and I'm looking forward that you will share  the details with us afterwards!  Kudos to you!!

Frustrated

• Posted

Thank you frustrated. it is summer 2016 but it will soon be here! met the vicar last month feeling very grown up. I have taken a Diazepam this evening as I feel anxious but not as bad as I have been so that is a blessing. I was very scared I was shutting down the perseverence has paid off I hope it does for everyone else too. 

How are you getting on? 

Lor xx

• Posted

Great to read your last post Lor
    • Posted

Thank you aspirant how are things for you? 

Lor

Xx

• Posted

Aspinan * I love iPhones 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.