sick of being sick

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am totally fed up with being ill and not having a life and to add insult to injury i never sleep well because i can't breathe when i sleep ! My doctor is awful and whatever i see her about she just says "oh i don"t know why that's happening, any ideas ?" i can't change doctors as i've already changed and there aren't any good ones in my surgery. My consultant can only be seen when he wants to see me and is booked months in advance. I saw a womam from a local organisation recently amd told her i want counselling and she said she didn't agree with it and would urge me not to have it ! Are there any organisation, doctors etc out there that actually help people, i'm really begining to wonder !

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

oh Chrissy, i really feel for you.  you sound so much like me presently.  exactly that - im sick of being sick! my GP doesnt think its fibromyalgia but had no other offer.  i got prescribed a short course of prednisolone on a reducing basis (3 weeks from 5 a day down to one a day) which only gave temp relief and in just three weeks I gained a stone in weight.  Nothing else - just the usual take paracetamol, which does take the edge of the pain sometimes but does nothing for all the other associated symptoms, like stiffness, sleep problems, upset stomach, memory issues, and so on.  i wake up in dread every morning knowing i'm going to be exhausted, take hours to get moving and then hurt all day.  Even drove home to the wrong street recently as my brain just wasn't focussing properly.  i've tried 'natural' remedies - by the bucket load, i'm going to meditation classes and when i'm not hurting too bad i go swimming during my lunch break - although not managed that for a couple of weeks as just too painful.  i just want this to stop.  i've always been healthy, active, eat a very good diet (i'm now vegetarian) and never been overweight until now.  i dont actually care what they diagnose or call it, i just want someone in the medical profession to accept i'm telling the truth, that i feel awful and that i need help to stop feeling this bad.  why is it so difficult to get both understanding and the right treatment?  heavens above, they can replace organs, limbs, eyesight, etc., but they cant treat pain syndrome with anything other than a useless pill that doesnt work!
    • Posted

Do not believe a gp's diagnosis they only know a lil bit about everything. Demand to see a Rheumatologist or Neurologist. I've been where you are with my doctor unwilling to do anything so i went for a private consultation with a neuro, my doctor still had to write a referral and what he wrote was awful ! He said i had post natal depression and had convinced myself i had a neuro condition ! Really made me angry but my neuro did some tests amd said i had some abnormalities on examination amd he wanted to do some tests so i had an mri which cleaned out the bank but was clear so he said he wanted to do further tests and he was going to tell my doctor to refer me on the nhs. My doctor actually ignored him for 7 months, until i found out and had him investigated, he reluctantly did the referral, refused to apologise and told me to register with a new doctor. Anyway long story short my new doctor is just as rubbish even though i now have a diagnosis.Don't put up with shoddy treatment you deserve better x
  • Posted

Poor you chrissyboo, really feeling for you.  I'm not in the UK..so I can't offer any help you with this one..but I know you'll get plenty of help on here...

Apart from saying, staying as calm as you possible can...stress really effects Fibro...and use lots and lots of hot water bottles.,there is light at the end of your tunnel...be blessed :-)xxx 

• Posted

Hi Chrissyboo -

Have you tried alternative therapies? Acupuncture, myofascial massage, etc. Western medicine did nothing for me but alternative medicine did help me a lot. It's expensive if you can afford it, but well worth it.

• Posted

Yea i would love to but i live in a very small rural town and the nearest practitioner is 30-40 miles away, we don't drive and i suffer bad motion sickness :-( but i will look into it a nit more and see if i can maybe book somethong to coinvide with whem i have to trabel to see my neuro. I have done mindfullness for health with a lo ely lady who came to my home, i found it quite beneficial fir lowering my pain. What is it that has worked for you ? And thank you

Krissy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.