Sick of feeling sick!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So my symptoms are getting the better of me and I really need to tell my story to get advice. I'm truly convinced I'm dying, and that the doctors haven't found what it is and I'm going to be one of those rare cases where doctors think I'm perfectly healthy but really I'm not and I'm going to drop down dead.

I've had chest pain for the past 2 months, stomach pain for the past 6 weeks and headaches for the past 3 weeks. My doc is referring me to a cardiologist because he's worried about my heart palpatations but I could be waiting months, which is making me terrified something will happen to me in the meantime. But I don't think the chest pain is heart related, I think it's my lungs. I'm sure I have a blood clot on my lung. I have chest pain and an awful cough. Doc thinks costochondritis & pleurisy combo but I'm not convinced. Oh I'm also getting pain in my upper back, in the area of the back of my rib cage.

Stomach pains started with a pain severe enough to wake me from my sleep (right side of stomach only). I went to A&E/ER and they were concerned it was my appendix or a possible stomach bug or UTI. Urine sample showed blood but no UTI, blood test showed high WBC's but that was about it. In the end they sent me home shrugging the pain off as a stomach bug. 6 weeks later and I still have stomach pain, it varies from sharp to dull to crampy, can occur during or shortly after food but can also occur out of the blue. The pain is spreading to my lower back. I haven't the foggiest idea what is causing the pain and I'm going to have to wait at least 2 weeks for an appointment with my doctor.

The chest pain, upper back pain, stomach pain, lower back pain and headaches are all getting on top of me. They're making my anxiety go haywire and I have no control over my life anymore. I just want someone to take me seriously and help me get to the bottom of all this pain but the docs know I have anxiety and are either patronising or annoyed because they feel I'm making everything up sad

0 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

And the headaches aren't even that severe, but because I literally NEVER suffer with headaches and now I'm suddenly having them regularly it's freaked me out.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.

Honestly, my GP doesn't care. He has no sympathy, and whenever I visit him with symptoms such as the recent stomach pain he will always say "anxiety can do funny things". I'm sorry but I know my body and I know somethings not right. Now I try to request the locum doctor (who is a woman) and discuss my problems with her but it's hard arranging an appointment around the days she works at the surgery and the days I'm not at college.

Xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Gps don't have mental health experience typically, always best to ask for a referral to Psychotherapy rather than take advice from a GP. He is right in one thing, anxiety can and does cause any all physical symptoms you could ever imagine,and the more you worry about them, the worse they become. That's when anxiety becomes health anxiety
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

For the pain or the anxiety?

For the chest pain I got told to take ibuprofen (mainly for the inflammation caused by the costochondritis) but this irritates my stomach and only causes further pain.

For my anxiety I'm not able to take anything because I'm 17. GP won't give me anything, he said something about him not having the authority to. I have to be prescribed medication from a mental health profession but that's not gonna happen until my referral is complete sad xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I do have health anxiety. That's why it's difficult identifying genuine problems from ones my anxiety has caused. I'm usually able to tell when symptoms are caused by anxiety and can address them, but having everything at once has became too much. I need to get to the root cause of the stomach pain because that's making me stress more, which is making my anxiety worse.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You have to believe what the Dr tells u,if not then there's no point in seeing them in the first place. If he was really worried about anything you would be getting seen right away, not having to wait for a routine appointment. I think unless you are a therapist to discuss your health anxiety you will just go round continually in circles looking for an answer to physical symptom which are only an issue because of anxiety
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My stomach pain is not anxiety related. My GP seems to think so but I've had two other doctors and 3 surgeons confirm they don't believe it's anxiety. They think it may be IBS, ovarian cysts etc (Basically there's a multitude of things it could be) but it's not just because of my anxiety. However, my GP won't listen to their opinions and won't refer me for further tests.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

IBS is a condition which can be totally related to anxiety, not always but very often. If you visit a Dr they are bound to send you for many tests, more so if they suggest anxiety which the patient won't accept. I fear you will be putting yourself through many worrying tests when you could help yourself more by seeing a therapist. Many of us have been there, and you of course need to get there in your own time
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Therapy referrals do take time,just the nature of the NHS, Google places like breathing space, they are a free helpline run by therapists who will talk to you for free. Tbey are great while you wait for an appointment
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I will look into them, thanks. I know what you mean about the worrying, I just can't help it especially when every part of me is telling myself to not believe the doctors.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up