side affects of citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

iv'e been diagnosed with depression last monday something i'd never thought i'd get after trying to bottle it up for months.I was getting hooked on co codamol ,which i have stopped taking now just think everything has got on top of me.I started taking citalopram on monday just 10 mg for the first week and its making me feel sick & i'm waking up at 2am & cant get back 2 sleep ,has any one else had this experience & will it stop soon cheers

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, the not sleeping is a fairly common side effect I have been on 20mg for 3 weeks and had this problem for most of it... I was just starting to get a better sleep pattern back and my psyc upped my dose to 30mg and I've not been sleeping well again... But I feel it is well worth it as my general mood is much better than I have been, I am able to interact with people at work again (before I would come in and not talk to anyone).

Stick with it the side effects do wear off and you wouldn't have been prescribed it if they didn't think the benefits outweighed the possible side effects.

I feel much better since being on them even though i'm exhausted today i'm still confident it is the right thing to do.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply i know ive got to stick with it going to 20mg monday ,i know its going to take time still can't believe im in this state off work this week was going back next but on nights so if im getting no sleep i'll be even worse so think i'll have next week off to take care
  • Posted

I understand its hard, personally I was and am ok with work as its the one area of my life I've not failed at (or as my councillor tells me, think I've failed at!)

It is horrible, everything feels wrong nothing seems ok and even reading this won't be convincing you otherwise....

You have to hold onto the belif that you will get better.... It won't be an overnight fix and it will take hardwork on your part, but things will get better...

I got to a point I never thought I would, hit an all time low, crashed however you describe it and I realised I'd left it too long before getting help.. I had a good friend that had noticed and talked me into getting help and I don't like to think where I would have been if they hadn't. You've done the hard bit by asking for help, it will still be hard and you won't suddenly be all good... But you will gradually start to get better and better, I am a long way from where I was when I crashed and I don't want to go back there...

Stick with it and keep posting, it helped me to have an outlet where I could say anything with noone really knowing it was/is me...

• Posted

Hi

I suffered from feeling sick, but it does get better. I still get the odd occassion when i feel sick but it's much better than it was and it does go off quickly. I also have problems sleeping and my g.p has given me some temazepam to try. so i will see if they help.

stick with it, it gets better.

• Posted

Thanks madhouse every1 says it gets better just hard 2 adjust at the mo ,up 2 20 mg monday then got 2 c doctors again week monday so i will have a chat 2 him cheers
  • Posted

Hi Stuart

I took a sleeping tablet on friday night and managed to have a good nights sleep. My G.P says not to take them every night, so I will only take them when i feel i need to. If you are still having trouble sleeping it may be worth asking your G.P for some sleeping tablets.

I hope everything is going well.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up