Side effect - bottom oil

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Dear All,

I am very worried as I have been prescribed Orlistat today and my GP was quite vague abou them. My friend says that you cant eat any fat as it will run out of your bottom as oil? Is this true? I am worried about having accidents so therefore don't think I want to take them now. :cry:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You will only get that side effect if you eat meals high in fat. I have taken orlistat and been fine on them. But, if I have eaten anything really fatty I have been very loose and yes your motions are very oily. I have never had oil running out of me though!
  • Posted

If you do eat too much fat then you may get stomach cramps and \"oily wind\". Has only happened to me twice. Nothing excessive just a gentle reminder to cut out the fats!

lelly

• Posted

You have to eat between 25 and 30g of fat a day for the pills to do their job without you tipping your metabolism into starvation mode and making it very hard to lose weight long term.

So 25 - 30 g of fat.........but no more than 15g in a single meal. I have been on these since February and with one exception ( see below) have stuck to the 15g rule and have had no nasty incidents at all ...luvly jubbly.

On the one day I ate too much fat - boy did I know about it - worst nightmare stuff but fortunately was in the house standing on a vinyl floor. Funny enough, until that happened I had been wondering if the pills were working as I had had no issues - derr!

• Posted

I am new to this, starting tomorrow, decided today to start counting how much fat I eat. Breakfast was 3.2 g, because I am up very early and I am diabetic I have porridge about 2-3 hours later so that was 2.5g. Lunch was 6.5g, afternoon snack 0.7g, tea 2g, will have supper which will be cereal which will be 3.2g. In total about 15 grams. According to the forum that is not enough. Is it best to add fat at each meal ie. nuts or at the end of the day. Any help would be greatfully appreciated as I am wondering if I doing the right thing. Many thanks.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up