Side effect or prozac?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can prozac make a person cold and nasty? My sister who was a nervius wreck started taking it last tear and as she upped the dose became quite cold and nasty. I told her but she doesnt care as she is no longer anxiety ridden or depressed she is content. Would she be aware that she no longer feels? Scary to watch. She becaime so cild and heartless i stopoed talking to ger a few weeks ago and she doesnt even seem to care. Very strange to me. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Most anti-depressants can make you less 'feeling', this usually results in apathy though. I would guess that maybe her depression/anxiety is not fully under control and this is what is causing the problems rather than the drug.

That said I have had this discussion elseware on this forum, sick or not we are all still responsible for how we treat those around us.

• Posted

Prozac can have side effects.  She needs to see her GP urgently and this is not entirely normal behviour.
  • Posted

Well  Prozac was the worse anti depressant I ever took, it did not make me like your sister, but it turned me into a wreck.

I have been anti depressant that made me aggresive, and another that took away emotion, so  guess they can do anything to a persons personality.  They affect different people in different ways. 

If it is the Prozac, then it is not her fault.   

• Posted

This highlights well how these drugs affect everyone different. Prozac (Fluoxetine) worked really well for me mood wise out of all the AD I have tried (inc Citalopram, Venlafaxine and Mirtazipine). Unfortunatly it (and citalopram) did not work well for me in the bedroom so that of a no go (pun intended! lol) for me.
  • Posted

It destroyed our relationship but she does not care one drop.it hurts me but there is nothing i can do. Her go has no clue she rarely goes to the doc. Just very sad.
    • Posted

Lisa if your sister is acting as she is because of the anti depressant then it is very sad that you feel you have no relationship with her now.  Can you not have a little chat with her and try and work things out?  Does she realise how her behaviour is affecting you, and that it may be a result of the Prozac.  Unfortunately, as I said before, anti depressants do give people changes in their behaviour which they cannot control.  Yes it is very sad, and I am so sorry.

Would she not let you go to the doctor with her to discuss this? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.