Side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking 1 x 20mg citalopram daily since March this year.  I am also taking 20mg omperazole for acid reflux. (I have been on and off omperazole for many years) However since April 2015 I have been suffering chronic stomach pain/discomfort and have felt extremely drained and exhausted. I have been to see my doctor and he run a serious of test, Ultrasound, to check liver, gallbladder, kidneys, bladder, spleen and pancreas. All came back clear. I have also had full blood count, glucose test, and stool test for hpylori and again all came back clear. Doctor believes I have IBS.  Could it be possible that Citalopram are causing my chronic abdominal discomfort? Any comments on side effects of this medication would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi mark

For me i thought citalopram played havoc with my stomach and had all sorts of tests eg. Endoscopy and colonscopy plus ct scan all came up clear. My consultant advised it was the depression causing the pain and discomfort in my stomach. As I have gone up in dose all these symptoms have vanished. It may be worth having a chat to your gp and perhaps trying 30mg. As you have been on 20 for quite a while. Also make sure you get high strength omega 3 as these fatty acids are vital when depression knocks us off our feet. How are you feeling in yourself other than stomach problems?

Warmest wishes

Lorraine xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine. I'm feeling more down than up lately and believe a lot has to do with me having the chronic pain daily and feel drained constant, its an effort to complete basic task like cooking meals walking to the shops, I do not exercise anymore because I do not have the energy. It really is taking a toll on my life. What do you use omega 3 for? Never tried those. Thanks for replying to me.
    • Posted

Hi mark

Depression will generate a lot of pains in your body. We are alike as it went straight to our stomachs. The reason your so exhausted is that your depression is still there. I honestly think you need a meds review with your doctor. Once your depression lifts so will your energy levels and your stomach will feel a lot better too.

Up until 3 days ago I spent most of my time in bed.no energy.no motivation.no appetite and very unsociable. Now it seems the depression is lifting. I have been out today and been very sociable which is something I hadn't been able to do in four months.

Your depression should have lifted if you have been on citalopram since March. Please don't suffer needlessly and get your meds or dosage reviewed. Omega 3 extra strength will help alleviate depression as the fatty acids are so good for the brain. My consultant also recommended this. I take my citalopram in the morning and a omega 3 in the afternoon. As it's natural it can be taken with meds. I think this helped me a lot.

Keep in touch and please chat with your doctor xxx

• Posted

I'm not sure, I have bad reflux.. even water gives me reflux sad and I take 40mg of citalopram would be nice to know if it was the cause
  • Posted

Hi Mark, I am on citalopram 40 mg and found for a few weeks when I started and every time I increased the dose I had rotten upset stomach. I too have ibs, which made it worse, but it's gone now. I would go back to your doctor as it should have passed now. I take omega 3,6,9 I got it at local supermarket as much cheaper than health shop. Hope you get better soon x
  • Posted

Thanks all for your replies. I am going through a self elimination test of what could be causing my stomach discomfort. What puzzles me is I have no indigestion/heartburn but have ulcer type stomach discomfort. I dont have any weight loss but am exhausted daily. Is it all in my mind, close friends of mine think so. Another doctors visit may be on the cards I think.
    • Posted

Hi mark

The pain your feeling is real but it's generated by depression which causes havoc in your body. I thought I had an ulcer as my stomach was so bad and throbbed like crazy. I lived on antacids throughout that period.

Try not to worry as it will pass along with the exhaustion. Unfortunately it's about waiting for the citalopram to do its magic. Don't forget the extra strength omega 3!!

Warmest wishes

Lorraine x

• Posted

Thanks Lorraine for your kind reassuring words. I hope things do start to improve. Times are tough at the moment and trying to have a life working etc is beginning to prove difficult for me now. x

• Posted

Hi Mark

I have been on citalopram and suffered terrible heartburn it was not until I reduced  the dosage that the heart burn subsided.

• Posted

Hey Mark, I found the heartburn went away after a few weeks. I stuck with it as I need to be on 40 mg of citalopram. Talk to your doctor and see what he says x
  • Posted

Thanks all, will need to do something its becoming a nightmare.. Thanks again for all your replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.