Side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with anxiety and depression after reaching complete breaking point.

I'm on day 5 of my seraline tablets and I've been experiencing some nasty side effects. Can't sleep (even after taken prescription sleepers!). Can't eat, I've lost half a stone in five days. No energy or strength to do anything. Zero concentration. Literally spent 5 days on the sofa watching Netflix and I'm going insane. juat wondering if others experienced the same and how long it lasts??

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I really feel for you. I know how hard it is when first starting antidepressants. Unfortunately you are going to feel like this for the first couple of weeks. Over this time the side effects will diminish in intensity and will fade away. Although you don't have any appetite or energy, see if someone can pick you up some protein shakes eg Complan. This way you will still get some nutrients inside of you.

You are doing the right thing by resting especially when settling down on your medication.

Promise you it will get much easier and you will start feeling the benefits.

wishing you better

god bless

Lorraine xx

• Posted

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel, I'm 3 1/2 weeks on sertraline now, and am feeling much better than the first 2, but still go long way to go. I was at breaking point too, I felt suicidal, and couldn't eat or sleep, even with sleeping tablets, and I lost a stone in weight!!

After the second week you feel bad in the mornings only, then as day progresses you should feel calmer. Then mornings get better.

And that's where I am at the moment. Plz just give ur self time ur unwell at the moment and you will be a lot better very soon, it happens very subtly.

Take care and come on here and chat, it really helps. X

• Posted

i can second everyone's comment in this thread, as i have been taking sertraline for a few months now, an now i'm at calming point, can be very emotional wen on own, but things seem to slide by at the moment,  able to address situations that get me down, n maybe hopefully find a resolve, course this has been an most likely still be a long process sad i'd defo keep taking prescription as adviced, may take a few more weeks to settle in ur system,

maybe whilst watching netflix, engage in a hobbie of some kind,

• Posted

I used to, and still like walking, as I couldn't ait still and concentrate on tv at all, ide walk for hours, cry and talk to god , sounds insane, but it was my coping strategy, Dr gave me diazepam to help calm me, and that really helped.

Please keep us updated on how your doing each day.x

• Posted

Sorry that was meant for b416612
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on fluoxetine for 8 weeks now and I feel absolutely back to normal. I had all those horrible side effects you are experiencing. It will not last forever, they should subside after abt 4 weeks, but the longer you take them you will feel normal again. I thought I wld never get back to normal, but I did and I am actually returning to work tmrw after having 6"weeks off. Hang on in there.

Good luck.

D

• Posted

Hia. I've been on 100mg sertaline for two years. Had awful side effects to start with but not losing weight. They did pass but had new ones start. Took few weeks. Go back to your doctor to check. Maybe they can lower the dose. Goid luck.
    • Posted

What do you mean you had new ones,start? When did other side affects start?? I'm worried now
  • Posted

Thanks all. My coping strategy had always been to ride (I have a horse) but more recently I have completely lost all enjoyment even from that. And since being on these tablets I have not felt well enough or had the motivation/energy to go and see her. I'm not the type to sit and mope but that's all I seem to be doing recently. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.