Side effects after 4 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I've been taking 20 mg Fluoxetine for 4 weeks for anxiety and agoraphobia. Several times I have thought about stopping due to side effects and I'm just not sure whether to stick it out. My main problem is digestive issues - occasional loose stools, stomach ache, nausea and generally just feeling ill. They seem to come and go and some days are worse than others. Last night I woke up after a few hours sleep and just felt really awful - very jittery, anxious, upset stomach and my head, arms and legs feel very strange - not even sure how to describe them! I've had to phone in sick at work and still feel very weird now. Also have sweaty palms and feel as though my body can't cope with heat. Are these effects likely to go away? I want to ideally give it longer as I know it can take a couple of months before it starts to work, but can't cope if the side effects continue. Any advice?

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi talla Iam sorry your having a hard time with side effects my advice to you is to stick it out it took me two months to work and the side effects went away worked wonders for three years best of luck to you
    • Posted

Thanks Crystal - I will try and stick it out in the hope I feel better. What dosage were you on and did you get more side effects as you increased the dosage?
    • Posted

Your welcome🙂I was on ten mg for several weeks then up to twenty and I stayed on twenty for three years and very happy on it,Iam hoping it works the same again so I'll see but yes def stick it out n the long run its worth it🙂
  • Posted

I'm getting ready to start on Prozac again. My anxiety was horrible. I'm already experiencing anxiety from coming off of Paxil because it stopped working. My doc is starting me on a very low dose this time of 2.5mg because I'm very sensitive to medication. They also want me to go on a low dose of Zyprexa to help with the symptoms. I've heard the side effects do get better eventually.
    • Posted

Thanks Tonia - I hope they work for you. I'm thinking that my doctor should have started me on a lower dose.
    • Posted

My psychiatrist said he had to start one patient on 1mg on the liquid. What did you start at? I'm trying not to take the Zyprexa.
    • Posted

I was started straight on to 20 mg. I didn't see my usual doctor though, so that might be why.
  • Posted

When you say your arms and legs feel weird... Is it like they are really heavy and a chore to move? That's the way mine have been feeling, on 20mg
    • Posted

Yes, they do feel heavy particularly my arms. Also feeling quite tired and lethargic.
    • Posted

I've been the same way. Been on the 20mg for just couple days past 4 weeks now. Sometimes it's worse and sometimes I feel a little better but lately it's been worse.
    • Posted

Yes that's exactly how I feel! Sometimes I feel quite good and others I feel dreadful! Do you take them in the morning or evening? Do you think there is a pattern for times of day when you feel better or worse?
    • Posted

I take it about 10 at night and then off to bed about 11. I always feel my worst in the mornings and sometimes lingers into afternoon, usually by evening I feel better but sometimes it sticks all day.
    • Posted

I take mine at about 8.30 in the evening and go to bed about 11.30. I can't really make out if there is a pattern or not with my symptoms - it all seems a bit random! Hopefully things will improve over the next few weeks smile
    • Posted

Is 20mg what you started with. My doctor started me on 10 which is almost nothing and then after a month upped me to 20mg. Had side effects after upping and at the beginning.
    • Posted

That's the bad thing. Whenever you up your dose the side effects come back again
    • Posted

Yeah I noticed and that's no fun. Went back for a follow up last Wednesday and she wants me to up to 40mg... I haven't done it yet. She started to call in 40mg tabs but I asked her if I could just take 2 20mg that way if it didn't agree I wasn't stuck with the 40mg tabs.... I still haven't taken 40 though from fear of the effects again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.