Side effects all of a sudden after 5 months ???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

so I've been taking ami for anxiety for about 5-6 months. I'm currently on 50mg and have been for a month or so.

I tried a few SSRIs but none of them agreed with me. Anyway, all has been ok until last night when all of a sudden an hour or so after taking it I was hit with this horrendous panicky, jittery, cold sweat type of feeling that is still here now. I literally feel like my whole body is shaking. It's exactly the same feeling as I had when starting SSRIs. What I don't understand is why now ? I've had virtually no side effects from this med.

Any ideas ? really don't wanna feel like this for Xmas !

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry - Amitriptyline- should have been more specific
  • Posted

Hi Rach smile

So this horrid, jittery and sweaty feeling - is this the sort of panic attack that you would experience prior to taking any meds?

• Posted

No, it's totally different. It's exactly the feeling Ive had in the past for a few days when going on a new ssri or upping the dose, but it's completely different to my 'normal' anxiety/ panic etc.

That's why it's so weird that it's just come out the blue 😞

• Posted

Sorry to hear that sad

I have taken SSRI"s in the past. One in particular I took for many years.

I personally found that SSRI's can 'alter' the anxiety symptoms. My panic attacks continued to happen on medication, though far, far more infrequently and the intensity was also considerably less.

That being said, they still DID happen.

These medications will not get rid of anixety entirely, they mostly act as a buffer or mask it.

It sounds to me (and again I can only speak from my own personal experience,) that you are not having side effects but instead your anxiety is changing.

SSRI's by their very nature alter the chemicals within the brain. This will in itself alter your anxiety. I think your best option is to talk this through with your GP as there may be something he/she can suggest or even say to put you at ease.

Personally, I wouldn't accept another perscription for pills on top of what you are taking as throwing medication at the problem never helped me.

You could try counselling. This I found to be the most beneficial.

• Posted

Also, if it is a side effect this may just be how your body responds to the drugs. Then I suppose you will have to see if the cons out weigh the pro's sad i am really sorry that I cannot be much more help to you - hopefully someone else on here can smile

• Posted

Thanks for your advice ! It's much appreciated.

Its just frustrating as the Amitriptyline has been kind of working so far.

It's so hard to know what to do for the best.

I have a telephone appointment with my doc later so I'll see what he says 😳

• Posted

That's brilliant, Rach smile And a very positive first step. I would take a guess that your body is still getting used to the drug. If you have heightened anxiety levels, your medication will react to it and your body may well be producing these counter-like symptoms.

let us know how you get on smile

• Posted

Hello rach

Sometimes we can suffer a relapse, for at time and eventually you should be ok.

Give it a few days, there is little you can do at this time of the year.

However if you can manage an appointment or make a one Christmas Week go for it. 

I have developed Gout for Christmas and the Surgery sent me medications to cover part of the Season of Good Will. We hope all will sort out given time

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.