Side effects of coming off sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently weened off 75mg of sertraline after taking it for anxiety for 10 months. I found out my anxiety was caused by vestibular neuritis and since that had improved I wanted to stop the sertraline. Im wondering what others side effects of coming off have been? So far Ive had stomach issues, nausea, terrible nightmares, slight anxiety, daily headaches, moodiness and Im tired by noon each day. Ive been able to manage these symptoms and trudge on but Im not going to sugarcoat. It sucks. This medicine was very helpful but the side effects blow. What gets me is the doctors dont understand and just seem to brush off the severity of the withdraws. Oh and Ive been dizzier than usual. Like a zombie getting off a carnival ride.😕Someone please tell me this gets easier. Ive been off completely 2 weeks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Becky.  When i came off sertraline I did it really slowly.  I got myself down to 25mg then took it every other for for a few weeks, then every third day for a few weeks then stopped and even then I had the nausea, stomach cramps, zoned out feeling all the stuff you describe and it lasted a few weeks.   I have read it’s helpful to take omega 3 when trying to flush out ssri so that’s perhaps worth a go.  Also drink loads of water.  How long have you been completely off, perhaps you have done it too quickly and might be better to try taking the lower dose every other day.   I think the kindest way to do this is slowly slowly. X 
    • Posted

Hi Laura. Ive been off sertraline a month now. The stomach cramps, headaches and nightmares have gone at least. Still have this brain fog and tired a lot. Ill see if i can take omega 3s with my coumadin. See I have vestibular neuritis as well so that gives me weird feelings like off balance. In the beginning I had terrible panic attacks from it and was put on sertraline. It helped. But it also supressed my vestibular function so I wanted to go off it. Guess Im a mess...lol...i have been drinking lots of water though. Thanks for the advice. Hows things been for you since being off it?
    • Posted

I only lasted about 6 months and have just re started it.   I think I need to just stay on it now tbh, I am fed up with the ups and downs and would just like to be a steady manageable anxiety level.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.