Sigmoid colon surgery is scheduled

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am scheduled for a colon resection in two weeks.  They are removing part of the sigmoid colon which as I understand it, is on the left.  However, my abdominal pain is on the right....will that be removed also?  Not sure who to ask so I thought I’d try this site.  Thankssmile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My guess is the problem is on your left side (sigmoid colon), and the cause of the problem (pain) is on the right, so I'd imagine removing the problem area will eventually allow pain to recover.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I had my sigmoid and 2/3 of the descending colon removed10d ago due to several bouts of diverticulitis. I too have had more pain on my right than on my left. I do know that on CT scan it shows diverticula at the cecum. Since I am still healing I have discomfort on both sides that aren’t constant.

Even when diverticulitis was treated with antibiotics the pain did go away on the right also. Drs couldn’t explain why I got the pain on the right when I had diverticulitis on the left side. 

Good luck with your surgery! I say it’s the best thing I ever did! 

Kate

• Posted

Thanks!  I had the surgery and am on the mendsmile. It’s been 2 weeks and I’m still really sore but had my follow-up today, and he said that’s normal.  I think it’s mostly from being constipated.  Hoping to see the light SOONsmile
    • Posted

Hi Tracy

Glad you are doing well! I am now 4 weeks post op and feel great. Week Three was the game changer. Keep in mind you need to figure what works for you. I was going between constipation and diarrhea. So I started a food diary and that helped. I realize I was sicker than I knew. So glad I had the surgery!

Best of luck to you 

Kate

• Posted

I am concerned from your post that you seem to have very little knowledge of what is about to happen to you, and why.  I think you need to ask your surgeon some more specific questions before the surgery, if you have not already done so. I presume you have been diagnosed with Diverticular Disease through a colonoscopy, following an attack of diverticulitis.  Are you aware that an attack of diverticulitis can take weeks or months for the pain to clear?  It is not a quick healing process.

You need to ask exactly where the diverticula are in your colon.  I expect they will say they are in your sigmoid colon, which is the usual place for them.  You should then ask them exactly why are you having the pain on your right hand side, and in particular whether or not there are diverticula anywhere else, like the ascending and/or descending colon.  Have they discounted appendicitis?  If you have diverticula in places other than the sigmoid colon, are you aware that the removal of the sigmoid colon only will leave you open to developing diverticulitis in future in these other areas?

Are you based in the USA?  The treatment for DD is far more aggressive there than here in the UK, where medication, diet and lifestyle changes are the standard treatment unless in an emergency like a perforation, fistula, blockage.  I have severe DD and have managed without surgery for 18 years.  Is this an elective procedure or absolutely necessary to improve your quality of life?  If elective have you been warned of the complications like recurrence, hernia, infection?  Have they discussed the possibility of having a stoma and colostomy bag, either temporarily or permanently?  Have they discussed dietary changes with you, particularly if you end up with a colostomy?  Do you feel you are being rushed into a decision?

I don't know why you are having the surgery, but of course realise it may be a medical necessity and the decision is yours.  I am just concerned that you are so far not fully informed.  I hope it all works out well for you.

• Posted

I went to two people for 2nd opinions and I did ask many questions.  I just had my 2 week follow-up after surgery and feel pretty good just sore.  Doc said I’m healing perfectly and everything went great!  Hoping to be back to normal in a few weeks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.