Silent Reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have recently discovered I have a problem with silent reflux, it seems to be acid coming up to my esophagus and makes me lose my voice and gives me the feeling of a lump in my throat and makes me burp a lot. I am 18 so obviously I drink, only last month I discovered this after a heavy night of drinking but it never used to happen before. Are there any tablets I can take before or after that can eliminate the symptoms the day after that won't react with alcohol?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Their is a bunch of OTC you can take, but that will just take care of the symptoms, not the problem which will get wose with time.  Your vbest option is to not drink and eat healthy before is to late.
  • Posted

Hi Gina

I think you could be expecting rather a lot in having a tablet that lets you drink without making you feel bad. When I was a lot younger I hoped for a tablet that would stop me having bad hangovers but soon realised that to avoid these the only solution was to stop drinking. This would be your best bet although being only 18 I doubt that you would agree anymore than I would have done at that age. But as Papote says do it now before it is too late, after all drinking is only a tempory pleasure and if not drinking means you feel better from your silent reflux then I know which I would choose.

• Posted

The problems you describe are from relux. Visit the www DownWithAcid org uk site and find Extra-oesophageal reflux from the contents list (home page). It describes what is happening and successive chapters deal with management thereof.

Whereas there are medicines to reduce acidity, there is no tablet to reduce reflux. Whether alcohol plays a role in this is questionable. The quantity and timing of what you eat and drink is of greater import.

The Down With Acid book says: "To reduce reflux, we must ensure we do not over-fill the stomach. Eating little and often is the best way.

Excess body fat will press on the stomach so it may be necessary to lose weight. Tight clothing should also be avoided.

Exercise after food should only consist of gentle upright activity (eg walking which will help the food to pass through the stomach) and not involve bending down.

It is important to keep upright whilst the food moves through the stomach. Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed.

By raising the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches, gravity will help keep any residual contents in place and reflux is harder if you lie on your left side."

• Posted

Alcohol is really bad for those who suffer from acid reflux. Alcohol is highly acidic and irritates the esophagus, as you now know. I'm not aware of the types of meds in the UK (I'm assuming this is where you live since 18 is legal age for drinking) but look for anything that has omeprazole in it, or better yet, talk to your doctor. They will hook you up with a medication to control your situation.
  • Posted

Stop or at least slow down on your drinking. You say your 18 and so of course you drink. Just because your 18 doesn't mean you have to drink. I know many people that age that don't drink. You might want to consider getting help. Back to Acid Reflux, it's only going to get worst if you keep going to the Bar's

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.