silent reflux: Having these symthoms now for months, & being misdiagnosed more then 3 times,.

Posted , 6 users are following.

It started whe. I woke up one morning and literally felt like I had a bug in my throat. The feeling was so intense, all I could do is try to excessively clear my throat from ehat ever this could be. After a few hours of discomfort. It felt like what ever was in my throat had gotten smaller, except now my throat hurts horribly. I then go to my clinic to get relief and to find out what is happeing and they swab for strep. The strep test came back negitive. He then gives me a script for an antibiotic. After just an hour, and after filling my script I get home and my ythroat is so inflamed that I couldnt swallow the large pills the doctor prescribed to me. It was getting worst. Then I am so lethargic and in so much pain, not even able to swallow a drink of water, I go to the ER. The doctor comes in, looks down my throat and says "your tonsils look like hamberger meat, you have bad strep throat". I then wanted to tell her that I got a negitive strep test just this morning, but I couldnt talk. She gave me a shot of penicillin, and wrote me a script for some steroids & pain. The next day I started feeling better. But this was the beginning of a long and whinding road for me. Almost 6months later, I am so sick from having a constant cough, constant phlegm in the back of my throat, spitting is extremely excessive, the feeling of something caught in my throat happens more then not. I am so fatigued & worn out, even after sleeping all nite. The feeling of thick slimy mucous in my throat makes it gard to swallow and for food to get stuck in my throat. I also have sinus drainage that is excessive, when I blow my nose my ears will feel blocked,& nothing comes from my nose mist of the time, I get headaches, just mild lingering headaches. My mouth is always dry. I feel HORRIBLE!!! some days are a little bit less uncomfortable. I started having chest pains & shortness of breath 2 days ago, and went to the ER, in which the Doctor there said I am experiencing Silent Reflux. I go home with the meds she wrote me, and a referral to s ENT. I reasearched Silent Reflux, and I for the first time in 6+ months feel like there has been a break thru to my medical problem. I have every single sign & symptom listed. But what the bad part is, that Silent Reflux us a precursor to esophagus cancer and if not caught & treated in a certain amount of time can be the deadliest form if cancer in this nation. If you are experiencing anything like this, go right away to a ENT...

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen first things first don't panic!!!!

I started with the same thing in January . Swabbed for strep ( clear) had an endoscopy ( everything ok) and finally had a camera up my nose and onto my throat . Doctor found small amount of inflammation but nothing to be concerned about it . Best thing I ever did was get a Peptest done . Look for them on the Internet . They are a lab within Hull university who carry out a saliva test to see what levels of pepsin are present in your throat .its the pepsin that irritates your throat . I took the 3 sample test . You basically spit and cough up first thing in the morning , after lunch and after tea. You post them back and get your result usually within 3 days . My results showed that I was refluxing of a night . My levels were relatively low but enough to irritate my larynx. So what I have done is bought a wedge pillow and started drinking Icelandic water ( a lot cheaper than evemor) . The thinking behind all this is to keep the pepsin away from my throat if a night and then wash it down with a high ph water . If you haven't done already get Jamie Kauffmans book . It explains everything . I am going to get another peptest done in 6 months to see what my levels are, as the professor in the lab said it can take 6 months for the irritation to go . I have been doing this for 3 weeks now and , although I do not feel like anything has changed yet, I feel like I am on the right road . I was a nervous wreck when I started feeling the globus like sensation but after reading up and getting tests done I feel like I am back in control . Feel free to ask me anything

• Posted

Hi that's a very interesting reply. Please can you tell me where you buy your Icelandic water from and also how much your pep test costs

Many thanks

Clare

• Posted

I get it off amazon . It's ph is naturally 8.4 . The peptest cost £70 . Google it their website tells you everything you need to know and if you need the speak to them the people on the lab are great . I phoned a week after getting my wedge pillow , panicking that I still had the feeling . The proffessor burst out laughing and told me to chill out and see where I was in 4 months minimum ...
    • Posted

Thanks fir this info. Do you still suffer from Globus Sensation? Are you following Kauffman's diet?ehst steps have uou taken yo ease the sympyoms gor globus?
    • Posted

Hi

Yes still suffering from globus but it has only been 3 weeks so I'm not expecting any significant change for at least 3 months . I roughly follow the Kaufman high ph diet . I bought myself a ph meter so I try and test everything and keep it above 7 ( which is hard) I also have a swig of gaviscon advance before bed . Just to coat my throat and esophagus incase anything comes up . I have had a few naughty days over the weekend so my stomach has been a bit up the wall.. But I'm back on it this week so fingers crossed it will start easing a bit soon ... ENT stuck a camera up my nose and in my throat last week and the small

Amount of inflammation that was there is right on my larynx . I'm guessing the fact your voice box and throat are constantly in use will

Make the healing process a lot longer than external inflammation

• Posted

Have you tried gargling with a weak solution of bicarb and water? It neutralizes the pepsin and gives almost instant relief. I also make it a part of my bedtime routine.
    • Posted

No I haven't but I will certainly try that . I like the sound of that thanks x x
  • Posted

Just realised you were not even asking a question 😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Posted

Karen, have you had any dental work done in the last 6 months or so?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.