Simple prostatectomy via the bladder neck - Anyone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In the absence of cancer, with a large prostate, 114 mg in my case, turp, green-light and other less-invasive procedures via the urethra my not be helpful, I am  told by a urologist to which I was referred by my long-term urologist who usually performs a turp-like procedure unless contra-indicated  by a very large prostate.

The procedure he recommends is supra-pubic simple prostatectomy, meaning a large incision is made from below the navel almost to the penis. Another incision is made into the bladder and then the prostate is accessed through the bladder neck and is "cored-out" from the inside leaving the shell intact. The nerves controlling continence, sexual function, etc are on the outside of the prostate shell and are not disturbed. A drawback to this method is that the bladder neck is necessarily stretched and incontinence will be experienced until the bladder sphincter can be restored by exercises.

Other drawbacks are that a catheter must be used, possibly more than one for weeks. So, that's all I know about the Supra-pubic simple prostatectomy via the bladder neck.

Anyone out there who has experienced this procedure? I appreciate all the input I have received from many posts over the past six months or so.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

To me that sounds like vey bad advice.

I had Thulium laser surgery on my 125 gram prostate last year and the surgeon said that he had done much bigger ones.

The surgeon who did my GL/PVP in 2005 with the original GL laser equipment said that he had done a 120 gram one on a man of over 90 without any qualms as it is a very gentle procedure.

• Posted

Thanks, Dudley and Derek. I appreciate your input. I have read descriptions of the three methods of simple prostatectomy and it appears certain that none are simple. It also appears that cancer is usually the reason for the open simple prostatectomy. I'm sure that investigation will uncover much more information.

I saw a third urologist a few months ago about a possible urolift procedure but at 114 g and a third lobe I didn't qualify. He is unique in that he replies to email. I'll see if he will comment on the open prostatectomy.

Where are you Derek? Possibly i could see your urologist. Hope you are not in Australia.

I have a bit of time, I'm ok now as long as I have a bathroom available. I was up only once last night, but I know the Jalyn med has about run it's course and something will be necessary soon.  (To those of you who have followed my posts over the last few months - I had to get back on Jalyn a month or so ago after several months without it). All input is appreciated!   

• Posted

I am in Sussex, England not far from Gsatwick airport with flights from Texas. We flew to Dallas from there many years ago.

As a msatter of interest I'll check if and where my one does non NHS work. 

• Posted

Thanks, Derek, maybe I could look up my ancestors while I'm there. County York, I believe. Interesting side note, one of my boys invited his Mom and I to ten days in Colorado over the Xmas holidays. Motels and 1500 miles driving in two days and all that just to get there. Then skiing and snowmobilieing day trips. I told him that there's no way I can do it, by then I'll be coming off of surgery or in a sad state needing surgery. Bummer, maybe next year.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.