Simvastatin has changed (ruined) my life

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am on persantin m/r 200mg and Simvastatin 40mg after having taken a TIA.

After 25 days without any problems I am now suffering:-

1/ A terrible itch all over my body and head.

2/ A feeling of terrible weakness as though I am going to faint. I am afraid to get up on my feet in case I keel over.

3/ Pins and needles in hands and feet.

4/ A stabbing pain in the back like I used to get from an ulcer.

5/ A tightness in my legs as though a tourniquet had been applied.

6/ A feeling of nausea and lack of appetite.

From being a very fit and active person who enjoyed life and walked 10 miles a day four times a week, I now have no energy for anything, and feel half-dead and very unwell.

I felt great before I started on this medication

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

well you have answered your own question dont you think ???stop taking this poison and go back to walking ten miles a day or whatever it was eat better dont smoke and drink try not to get stressed out change ur lifestyle or job to achieve that -------good luck
  • Posted

Had exactly the same experience as you, felt great within 3 days of stopping it, now on pravastatin, so watch this space
  • Posted

[size=18:ee740e8d61][color=darkblue:ee740e8d61][b:ee740e8d61]I have been on this medication for some time now, and only just today clicked why my back and my ankle are feeling so bad, to the point I cannot pick my daughter up without the feeling of dropping her. I was on a different medication and stopped taking it before getting a call asking if I would try this one out as it was cheaper, I had the same effects from the last one.

Do doctors really no what they are doing, pumping anything into anyone, I am also diabetic and find I feel more tired taking the tables then I did when I stopped for a week.[/b:ee740e8d61][/color:ee740e8d61][/size:ee740e8d61]

• Posted

My Doctor put me on Simvastatin after a blood test. It is the best thing that could have happened to me. Before taking this medication it was hard for me to get up in the morning. I had to have bed rest in the afternoon and go to bed early. Since taking Simvastatin I get up ok, no need to rest in the afternoon and stay up late at night. I cannot believe what a difference it has made. If you find it doen't work for you ask your Doctor to change you medication.
  • Posted

I am glad and relieved to read Zymper's posting. In May 2007 after a horrendous year of stress and exhaustion I was blue lighted to hospital with suspected cardiac/stroke. After every test you might imagine for both conditions nothing conclusive was discovered. I was obliged to slow down and follow a more balanced diet and lifestyle. I was prescribed Lipitor and Plavix. 7 months later a blood vessel burst in my thigh for no apparent reason. I was taken off Plavix and told to take 150mg dispersible Aspirin daily and continued also with the 40mg lipitor i had been taking. The bruise from the burst vessel disappeared as I had been told it would. However, over the 7 months of lipitor I had been experiencing symptoms of aches in my thighs...giddyness akin to the feeling I had when I was first taken to hospital, difficulty taking full breaths, very frequent flatulence and burping, occasional nausea, cold toes and hands (pale in colour which is so unusual for me having been hot all my life, and so on. I noticed that if i took Lipitor at 9 or 10am i would invariably feel exhausted by 3 to 5pm and all I was good for was to ly down and shut my eyes for two hours. In this period I also put on weight and regardless of increased exercise or improved diet I could not seem to lose it. Today I went to my GP and listed my woes. He has prescribed Simvastatin from tomorrow and I am relieved to be stopping Lipitor. I am curious and optimistic but also aware that Simvastatin might not suit me either but i do understand that it has an established record which seems mostly positive. The point I would make is twofold (from my own perspective). Firstly it appears that we are differently suited to different drugs and in the absence of harmless effective natural remedies I am genuinely grateful for any help I am given to improve my well-being and life in general. Secondly, I believe we can all do a lot more to give ourselves a headstart and reduce our dependency on drugs. I know that our knowledge of causes of cardiovascular disease , for example, has come on in leaps and bounds over the last three decades which is why we cannot blame our parents or theirs for offering the wrong diet to children if that is what happened in any particular case...but I firmly believe that it is inexcusable in this day and age to tolerate the offering of unhealthy foods in our homes and high streets. So thankyou Zymper for giving me some optimism about Simvastatin. I'll let you know how I get on. And I hope that all who do not receive satisfaction with Simvastatin achieve such with another product.
  • Posted

After 3 weeks of Simvastatin 40mg, the side effects kicked in - upset stomach, aching pain/sensation across lower back, generally feeling heavy inside body, and as though head didn't belong to body! Carried on with them for another week, then gave myself a holiday from them for a week, and I felt much better. Had another go at them last night and today feel the same bad side effects but worse. I've persevered because my GP seemed to prescribe them as though they were the obvious and necessary remedy for high (4.3) cholesterol. I protested against the prescription to begin with, having been lucky enough never to have required long-term medication before, but my GP seemed to be saying it was a case of take them or have a stroke/get heart disease in the next ten years. My pharmacist told me that \"everyone's on them\". There's no way I can keep on taking these tablets, but that leaves me now in fear of my cholesterol level - I've been working on lowering it by exercising and and keeping to a low-saturated-fat diet. Aren't there any sort of non-medicinal things to take to help lower cholesterol - supplements, etc? The prospect of a life-time on these sinister drugs is now beginning to mar my previously rather optimistic view of advancing middle age.
  • Posted

[color=blue:4fa5e1de9c][/color:4fa5e1de9c]

There is an alternative medication for high cholesterol. They are called plant sterols (could be under various brand names). Most health food shops should stock them. On the downside these can be quite expensive but at least not a drug! Good luck!

• Posted

I was prescribed Simvostatin 40mg after being diagnosed as having a TIA.

However, I never experienced any of these nasty side-effects, since I threw the prescription in the bin.

Instead, I've opted to eat more healthy and to do more exercise, which thus far appears to be working a treat, I've lost over 1 stone in a couple months.

Certainly a TIA is a wake up call to lead a more healthy lifestyle, which I believe you can do without taking harmful statins. Forget the drugs, which they want you to take so Big Pharma has yet another revenue stream for life. Eat healthy and get your bike out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.