Since having a left hip replacement 7 weeks ago, I seem to be suffering from reactive depression

Posted , 30 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Until my recent hip replacement I was a fit, upbeat 55 year old, but now have feelings of helplessness and sadness. Anyone experiencing similar?

7 likes, 243 replies

243 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all fellow hippies, I'm so glad I joined this forum, I had my hip done 9 weeks ago today and the whole journey has been a learning curve for me. Before and after my op I met so many people who knew someone who had THR, and the standard comment is 'they've never looked back, totally transformed their lives'. Now I am absolutely sure that is the truth, but what no one tells you is about the trauma of the first 12 weeks post op. Like Patricia, I am a health professional in the NHS, been a nurse for 40+ years and never been a patient, never mind had major surgery. I had no complaints about my care, it was good everyone as pleasant as they had time to be, but an occasional kind word doesn't to wrong. I was so glad to come on this forum and discover I wasn't alone with lack of sleep, feeling low, limping, pain etc. But you're right our lives and bodies have changed for ever, and that's good, I just need to survive another year of working life, and I'm sorted. I am very greatful for my new hip, Still have irritation on skin around wound site, just moisturise twice a day and try to ignore it, would be grateful for any further advice. And the depression, I think it's caused by the change, loss of control of our lives as they were and I think we lose a wee bit of self confidence, and I'm sure as we gain control of our minds and bodies, it will resolve itself.

And John, I think you've been through the mill, had such a lot to deal with, and your poor wife, but I have been a nurse for a long time and have seen people being transformed to better health, and it's amazing. That will be you, be kind to yourself and let this run it's course, it'll be good. After all that spouting off, I'm just going to limp into the kitchen and get a cuppa. Blessings to all x

• Posted

Tank you for the responses. It is true that no one really tells you how long and challenging the recovery period is. I know I will feel normal again but now in the next few weeks. Just have to do the time right now. Feeling better.
  • Posted

Hi i went for my post op follow up this afternoon. It went well and everything seems good with my hip and fracture.. I can now start to weight bear and get walking again. It feels weird after so many weeks but i am trying.. I cant drive however until i stop using my crutches.. I obviously dont know as yet how long that will take. My wound has healed well and Delina i started using bio oil when all the scabbing had gone. It seems very soothing to me and i dont have any itching. My wound is a long wound because of the two operations too but has improved a lot with this.
  • Posted

John, good to know your post- op follow-up went well. It's always a boost when you get official confirmation that you're on the mend. Recovery is hard work for all concerned and definitely no walk in the park (no pun intended).

Now you've started weight bearing you may find your recovery shifts up a gear as all your muscles will strengthen and give you more support and, equally importantly, more confidence. You may well get some achey reaction from your muscles though due to them being worked a little harder so please don't be surprised. I certainly did. Keep up the awesome good work and be proud of your determination and achievement.

As regards the scars, two years on from my bi-lateral fun and games, mine are fading well and give me no trouble whatsoever. Hopefully, yours will behave in the same way.

John, UK

• Posted

I will try bio oil. Moisturising helps but bio sounds as if it might resolve the problem. Glad you got a good report at hospital john. The only way is up!
  • Posted

Thanks delina. I got my bio oil on amazon. Great deal and it arrived the next day.. I dont usually rate a lot of that sort of thing but it is very soothing and recommended for scars as well.
  • Posted

Thanks too John i was being very active beforehand and had good muscle tone. Even my bad hip had some muscle tone in my glutes . The physio was surprised at that so i hope i wont ache too much although i know i cant expect that there wont be gain without some pain...

By the way how many of you got any follow up support from any health professionals in the few weeks after your operation?My brother was in a hospital in North Shields today and heard the staff in the surgery department ringing up all their hip replacement folks asking whether they had any problems and whether they were doing their exercises and doing their injections etc. He presumed i had had that support as well. I had to admit in Cambridge i had had no support or interest in my situation at all. In fact i had had to fight for someone to come and sort my dressing out.it took 8 days. It wasn't a good experience and contributed to my depression to be honest.

• Posted

Hi John, and all thp folk. I note this site is based I. The UK. I'm from the USA. I had hip replacement just over 3 weeks ago, and seem to be having depression as well. Here, the protocol is to be up walking same day as surgery, walking halls in hospital the next day, and home the following day. We are to use a walker or crutches initially, and shift to a cane when we feel ready. We are encouraged to walk daily, pushing our limits, to reach a mile at the end of a month.

I used crutches at first. I had a necrotic femur, which necessitated the THR, and had been on crutches for 9 months prior to surgery anyway. I transitioned to a cane after 2 weeks. I think I'd have done so a lot sooner, but found our rainy weather in Oregon prevented me from walking as required.

I find the wound site itches often. I had a combination posterior/lateral incision, due to the dead femur, and the incision is well over a foot long. I'm acutely aware of the feel of the metal. It feels heavy and hard in my hip. Very odd sensation.

I'm 64, overweight, and out of condition, due to such a long period on crutches with extreme pain prior to surgery. This explains, to me, the achy back muscles from walking.

Sleep is difficult since I cannot roll over to find comfort. I was told back only for 2 weeks, then on side NOT affected by surgery, with pillows to support leg and behind back, to lie at a 60° angle. I don't know about you, but those are not natural sleeping positions for me.

My pain is nearly gone now. I was given oxycodone for pain. It was effective, but I hated it. It caused incontinance, constipation, confusion, dizziness, and foggy headedness. I am glad to be done with it. I use Tylenol now, with fair results.

It's the depression I'm most beset by now. I searched online, after having a particularly bad day today, and found your group. I'm relieved to know it's not just me. I was beginning to think I was losing it!

I'm now able to do my dishes, vacuum, do laundry (with my husband's help in reaching low), and even managed to mop a floor, using my wheeled office chair for part, to avoid twisting and bending wrong.

Thanks for being here! Thanks for sharing your stories! I feel I can contact my Dr tomorrow and ask for some help with the depression now.

Looking forward to getting back on my bicycle one day soon! Thanks again for being supportive here.

• Posted

Good news John. I bought bio oil earlier this week Celina.My scar is a bit lumpy and slightly puckered as I had an anterior approach. My problem is I expect too much too soon!

Anyone else feeling cold?

• Posted

Judi my scar was lumpy and puckered too but has noticeably improved. I had quite dip at the end of my scar where i had the fracture wired but that has mostly gone.I am now at 7 weeks and it mostly feels smooth. So hopefully yours will be the same.

Yes my legs in particular have felt cold and i wrap them up with a rug like an old man.. The comments i keep getting!!!

• Posted

Sounds as if you should start moving about a bit now John and get your circulation going properly, cold legs are not a good sign. A bit less time on the computer and more time doing the exercises.........you just need to get motivated and moving and in a relatively short time all the problems you have been having will seem like a distant memory.

• Posted

Oh i do all the exercises i have been given religiously and am now able to weight bear after yesterday. But theres little you can do when you cant weight bear and i have displacea in my other hip. Thats what i have I experienced for these last seven weeks. I had to sit it all out.it was boring as hell but i am now through it.I feel incredibly motivated to get going again and would love to be out and about and back to the gym. If i knew what exercises i had to do now then i would start today but the physio cant make it until tomorrow.That i feel cold in my legs is a fact that unfortunately i cant help.I've always had poor circulation. I was going to the gym four times a week to swim and do exercises for an hour and a half up to the day before i went into hospital and was very fit for my age. So dont worry that i am lazy, unmotivated or sitting on my computer all the time. As i cant get out much at all cos i cant drive at the moment i tend to entertain myself with my ipad like many others.. When you wake like i did this morning at quarter to four there is little else to do...
  • Posted

Hi John, as you like to use your ipad and PC go to You Tube and tap in How to Recover From Hip Replacement Surgery. you will see on there all different exercises to do, how to get into bed, how to sleep, how to get in a car, how to turn safely without risking dislocation, what you should and should and should not do etc.

There are quite a few videos on there, another good one is The First Six Weeks After Hip Surgery..have a look as they are very interesting. Good Luck.

• Posted

Good to hear about the scar smoothing down John, funnily enough it's the only thing that makes me a bit squeamy, massaging my scar. I mean who would have thought I would stick needles in my stomach for a month? And yet that doesn't bother me!

Off to youtube to see what's available, thanks Meldrew.

• Posted

Thanks for that tip meldrew.. Have looked at some already. I like to get informed....i went out for a short walk round the block yesterday both in the morning and the afternoon. It was great to breathe cool fresh air. Its very strange to be leaning on both legs after seven weeks on just one. But the good news is i feel very level and hopefully i will be able to progress past using my crutches soon.

Judy i felt that way about my scar but have somehow found that the oil makes that area very smoothe and much better to the touch. I was fine with he injections too not that i enjoyed it that much but coped well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.