Six months post op and still getting some stomach ache

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies, I had op for A & P repair and vaginal hystectomy in March

this year. At my post op check at twelve weeks my consultant said

that everything was healing well. When walking/standing/lying down I generally have no problem but when sitting either at home or in the car I start getting low ache. I am 69 and at my age perhaps it's

taking longer to settle?😩 I try to avoid putting pressure on my

abdomen (lifting, carrying, bending) as much as possible, just want

to be my " normal " 🤔. My best wishes to any of you ladies recovering from or contemplating these procedures💐💐

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had the same surgery as you Woodie, plus a sacrospinous fixation in May. Initially my healing and recovery was great, now, at four months post op I'm staggered how long it's taking to feel any benefits. ?? I'm not in pain as such, but still feel pain internally from, I presume, the stitches and scaring. 

I'm also really worried the anterior prolapse has returned, I can feel the bulge once more. I'm seeing my consultant on September 23rd, am hoping for reassurance. 

It's a long old road to recovery, much longer than I'd imagined. 

• Posted

I also had the  sacrospinous fixation and rectocele in November and still having days where I am not my best. I also did not expect to take so long to recover. Does your stomach swell up.? I look pregnant! Sometimes my bladder plays up but surgeon has given me some cream for down below that helps with the dragging feeling. Good luck!

• Posted

I am 69 and had my op last November. I still have days when I feel quite fragile and tired with a low down sort of dragging feeling but I have been told that I will need further surgery at some point for a cystocele but surgeon wants me to fully recover from this first. It is so depressing when normally you are active isn't it? I am responsible for a seven year old so I have to get out and about and also see to my horse so getting a bit fed up when I start to get so exhausted! We will just have to keep behaving ourselves and hope that it gets better-Grr! It is good to know that a lot of us feel like this so quite normal! Good luck in your recovery

• Posted

Hi Woodie and all the rest who have these op's. I had a rectocele, posterior repair and sacrospinous fixation for vault prolapse in May this year. I too am surprised and more than a bit fedup at the length of time it's taking to recover. I was told 3-4 months though so maybe it's all normal. I haven't yet had a post op checkup as my hospital are running about 3 months late due to staff shortages! (A common problem on the NHS at the moment it seems.) I would just like to know if anyone else has had 'sciatica' and hip/leg/knee pains? I'm finding it hard to get my life back to normal because of this, I have osteo arthritis in these joints too so doesn't help my mobility. I'd love to hear from anyone who has similar problems. X rolleyes

• Posted

I was not supposed to be seeing my consultant until September 23rd. I had a phone call this afternoon to tell me they were having to cancel it, my heart sank! They then asked if I could make it tomorrow instead, so pleased, I have so many questions to ask. 

I'll update you tomorrow ......

• Posted

Hope all's well for you Sheila. Are you in UK/NHS too? When I phoned I was told by the gynae's secretary that my appointment wouldn't be before October. It's bad not knowing what's going on especially as we can't see it! lol (I can't anyway due to aforesaid mobility probs.) Hope you've made a list of questions, you sound like you will need one. Look forward to your update. twisted 

• Posted

Hi. Well good news following surgery on May 4th! 

I saw my consultant yesterday and she reassured me that my my three prolapse surgeries, anterior, posterior and uterus are all fine. The stitches from the repairs, the vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation have dissolved and the lumps and bumps are normal scaring, which do take a long time to settle. 

I had my list of questions, which she answered clearly and with additional advice. 

I am in a bit of pain internally, it will heal, but does take a long time. 

Sex is painful, she assured me that sexual activity can be painful for a long time, but my vaginal capacity is adequate!! I'm sure I'm just so nervous I'm tensing  up. 😳

I can start playing badminton, step classes and even horse riding again, obviously I'll take it easy, not go mad and start all activities next week!

Continue with pelvic floor exercises, she did an internal and asked me to cough and squeeze, and said I was doing them correctly. Nothing too fancy, like you're holding tight to stop a wee, and holding in a fart! 

I've also been having pressure in my bottom, I wondered if I had piles! Again she said this is normal, lots and lots of healing going on. She couldn't see anything externally but did say even if I had them no one would touch that, following the surgery I've had, for at least six to nine months. 

I questioned lifting, gardening and know I can't do the heavy work I used to do; but that's fine. I can get others to lift the compost bags, heavy pots etc. 

My main reason for ultimately opting for surgery was stress incontinence, I am still getting a few leaks but the test will be when I return to exercise. She did offer medication, but I think that's more for if there's an uncontrollable urge. 

I was worried about the bulge feeling at the very front of the anterior wall. This is my urethra and I'm possibly more aware of it because the other lumps have gone. She's prescribed Vagifem, Estradiol vaginal tablets, twice a week. 

She explained that the anterior and posterior repair will not necessarily cure the stress incontinence but until these are secure and healed she cannot address this. I have another appointment in six months, we can then see how everything is doing. I was very pleased that she's offered me this follow up. (I'm in the UK and it's all on the NHS). 

So, despite my anxieties I was reassured that so far all is healing well. The whole process will take a long time, I had major surgery and a huge package. My recovery from the actual surgery, and any real pain was so good that I suppose I didn't anticipate the time it takes to fully heal and be able to see the real benefits. 

So, I hope that's been helpful, I hope I continue to heal and don't have to report any set backs. I may need further work, for my bladder in the future, but for now I must focus on this next stage of my recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila, I wondered if I could ask if the sacrospinous fixation

procedure was discussed at your operation consultation/consent

signing??  When I had my consultation it was made clear that

if more was needed than the cystocele procedure it would of

course be carried out in my best interest. As previously stated

I ended up having the posterior repair along with a vaginal

hysterectomy as well. A vaginal vault repair wasn't mentioned-

I don't want to be pessimistic.......🤔Xx

• Posted

I knew I was having the vaginal hysterectomy and anterior and posterior repair, I have to say I don't remember the fixation being mentioned prior to the surgery. I do remember wondering how the vault would stay in place and how it would be held up so when I'd had the fixation it made sense. I had to google, after surgery, to understand what had been done, I still wonder how it's all attached if you don't have this? 

It certainly hasn't caused any ill effects that I'm aware of, so hopefully it was the correct procedure for my condition. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila. I'm glad to hear your check up was so positive, such a relief for you. I had my hysterectomy 30 odd years ago and they didn't do the SSF then. I had a posterior repair 15 years ago and nothing was mentioned about a vault prolapse then so everything was holding up until the last 2-3 years. (74 now).This time I had a posterior repair and the SSF procedure 4 months ago. (Still not got my post op appointment through.) I'm having some occasional leakage from bladder still but had a UTI and was given antibiotics 3 weeks ago, I still feel swollen inside so not able to do the pelvic squeezes very well yet. I chose not to have surgery for anterior as it was not too bad and he said they would look at it after I've healed from this. I don't want the tape or mesh as I can't tolerate anything made of artificial fibres so will have to wait and see I suppose. I shall have to continue being a not very patient patient for now I suppose. The garden will have to wait until next year as I live alone now. Poll X rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you Pollyanna for your good wishes, it is a huge relief to know the surgery was a success. I know I've still a long way to go but the first four months are over. 

I hope your follow up appointment brings you good news. 😃

• Posted

Thanks Sheila, I can only hope the appt comes through soon. I'll let you know if and when. I've every faith in my consultant and the NHS, it's my old body which worries me! lol rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.