six weeks and signed off!

Posted , 8 users are following.

This morning I saw my surgeon, and apart from saying that the bend is still not enough, he seemed very pleased with my progress, said i can now walk without any crutch or stick, and only to go back to him now if I have any questions, or unexpected changes.  he said two kilometres a day was too much, and to drop to one kilometre, and not necessarily every day . . He specifically warned me that in women the  largest cause of infection in the joint is urinary infections, and as i suffer from these quite regularly, I shall stock up on strong antibiotics and take them as soon as I feel a twinge!  It makes me wonder why in the hospital after the operation I had to wait three days to see a urologist when i complained daily of cistitis! I know I'm going to have to be strict with myself now to keep up the exercises, as I've been working hard towards this consultation as when I saw him at ten days he was very negative about how I was doing, and said I was going to end up with MUA.  Have to say that at that point I was a total wreck and could quite happily have crawled into bed and stayed there the rest of my life!  It does get better eventually, doesn't it!  (and then it gets worse again . . but onward and upward!!!)

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my second TKR on 16th Dec last year having had my first the previous March which was awful as I had to go in for MUA. I was determined that it wouldn't happen again and so I made sure that I did my exercises from day 1. I stayed in for 3 days and went home whereI continued to do my exercises. I saw my Consultant after 6 weeks who doesn't want t see me again until next January.

sounds very good except for the awful sciatica that I have had since the op'. I have had regular Physio which leaves me feeling like I have been kicked by a donkey for two,days after and it is still there. Not sure how this is going to go away as I am now jone past 10 weekspst op.pain killers and hot water bottles on the back do help but are very embarrassing when walking around Tesco's.walking and sleeping isn't too bad but sitting for periods of time, especially on hard seats such as restaurants, coffee shops etc .

any ideas anyone.??

• Posted

I find it's worse when standing still . .walking, and sitting seem reasonably OK, but lying down and standing still is the worst. . .at least it mostly keeps me moving around!
  • Posted

That sounds promising.  I had esix week check but have another appt in May when I have an X-ray.   Don't think they we too concerned with bend, just as long as you can walk.   Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.