Six Weeks Post TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had TKR surgery on November 21, 2016. Today, six weeks later, I am pain free and walking a mile in under 20 minutes without using any assistive devices. Ascending and decending stairs as well as navigating steep inclines/decline is challenging. Swelling and soreness are still issues, and I use rest and ice to control both. Continuing outpatient PT until the end of January. As a 67 year old male, I feel very blessed and fortunate to have experienced such a positive recovery to date. Happy Knee Year and the Lord's blessings to all 2016 TKR graduates.       

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

You're amazing ... I had my left TKR on 31st October 2016 and not doing half as well as you! I'm not pain free and not walking far. I continue to do my physio exercises at home, like you stairs are getting easier but magaed with care! Keep up the good work x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello question when u r walking does above u knee swell? I'm pain free as well but I find when I walk slit or stand above my knee swells and I get nervous and stop and rest. Mayb I'm babying myself too much

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Praise God from whom all blessing flow
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Congrats.....you indeed are one of the text book cases that all ortho surgeons look forward to working on. Keep on doing what you are doing. I'm sure everyone on this site are both happy for you as well as envious

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

OFG1, thanks for the kind thoughts. I give all credit to a superior orthopaedic surgeon. Also being 100% Irish, one of St. Patrick's lads, didn't hurt at all. Happy St. Patrick's Day 2017.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well done, amazing progress. I have had pretty good progress, but not to your level. Where did you get the op done? I had mine in Beacon Clinic and very happy.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Irish Al, thanks for the kind feedback. Had TKR surgery in Tampa, Florida, USA. Full credit to the orthopaedic surgeon's skill. Hoping to have a similar outcome with the next TKR in May 2017. Best regards, RJ.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Congratulations , sounds like you're doing very well. I'm scheduled for next month and hope I do astill well post op. It's good to read a positive, success report given all the negative stories.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

HD103, congrats n your decision to improve your quality of life. A few things I believe helped with my recovery are as follows: prior to surgery, lost 10 pounds to get to a healthy weight; rode a stationary bike daily between 30 and 45 minutes; used weights and targeted exercises to strenghten leg muscles and core; finally, changed my diet to include more fruits, steamed vegtables, chicken and fish. Reduced red meat intake to once every other week, zero fried anything, no salty snacks. Again, congrats on your decision to improve your life. Regards, RJ 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up