six weeks progress report.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all. I am one day off 6 weeks now. My bend at the physio on friday was 80 which he was pleased with, an increase of 5 from the previous week. I was able to lift my leg off the bed for the first time which had eluded me so far so was pleased with that. However i still find it very hard to sit in one position downstairs in the lounge and have to keep coming back to bed to get some peace from my restless leg. Exercises are going ok but the frequent unexpected pains make me nervous. I think that i havent really accepted my new knee as part of my body! Sleep is improvingwhich helps a lot but my life is still very far from normal. It seems very far away right now still. Also i am due to stop wearing the dreaded stockings but i worry that my leg will swell up as it has before when i left them off. My scar has a small area that is still weeping mostly i feel because of wearing the stockings i have had to cover it. Hope it starts to improve soon!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It will slowly repair itself and as you know by now, healing isn't a straight line upward BT a series of 2 steps forwarf, one step back. Stay with your program

..... , pain meds, excercise, ice, rest, hydration and nutrition. One of the most difficult parts, the mental aspect. Neither getting too high when feeling better and getting depressed when you have a little set back. Those that have gone through tkrs are in a fellowship that is difficult for outsiders, even those who are medical providers, to understand. That's why a forum like this is a blessing for those who are going through the process. Hand in there and good luck.

• Posted

Heh, how are you? I am now 30 days post op. Mixed improvement I guess. Bend is 95 when it gets going. Need to walk with one crutch as I do limp at the moment. Thigh muscle pains niggle me. Hope they eventually settle. I suspect not for a while. A little outer knee pain when pulling leg back. Still eRly days I guess.

robert

• Posted

OMG do you have that right! These forums are so helpful. I feel that not even the medical professionals have a clue what we go through with a TKR. The sleeplessness, pains, loss of appetite, feelings of loneliness, struggle to exercise, acceptance of the New knee, and on and on. I will be 8 weeks post op tomorrow. Was released Dr Rom the surgeon last week and told no more PT. When released I was at 127 and 0. Scar has healed nicely with a few recurring lumps and bruising still evident. Continuing exercises at home, cycling stationary bike, and walking. But still the knee swells occasionally and feels stiff. Luke you said, two steps forward and one back. It is definitely a process unknown to anyone other than those who have experienced it.
  • Posted

Good morning to all.  I am now beginning week 16, and feel sooo much better these days.  I still excercise but inside of my knee is still holding me back from good bend.  No painkillers now and getting about.

wish you all well.  I am staying in as we have ice and snow here in Scotland and dont want to fall.

carol

• Posted

Hi carol. I am one week after TKR and like you in Scotland so glad I can't get out I would be petrified I fell. I can suffer pain in knee but calf muscle a def pain I did not expect 

glad you are doing well looking forward to no more pain killers  

Anne 

• Posted

Hi Carol.

I am 18 weeks post tkr & have been  having inside of my knee pain for weeks, physio says it will probably be ligaments or tendons, but I'm not sure.I get it badly when I have been on the peddle machine also I get it when exercising on my bike( I have just managed to do a full rotation this week) My leg is now almolst straight but my bend is 105, think  I am a bit slow getting the bend, as like Jean, I did'nt have physio for  7weeks. I asked the surgeon why did he make me wait so long, his answer was, when he did the op. the op took 3 hours(not 2 like he said) as my arthriitis was bad but my bones were so dense, he had a bit of difficulty cutting them ,so I was so very swollen , he told me it could have caused me more probs, opening my cut or damaging tendons & ligaments etc. After I had seen him this week, I felt a little more convinced, when he said I would get a better bend if I just stuck with the exercises & stayed positive.I can tell you I am really trying, like all of on this site, who I must say have kept me sane through times when I felt really down. 

• Posted

Wow Lynn - sounds like your op was intense.  If you had to wait 7 weeks before beginning PT that would make you more like 11 weeks post op.  I can imagine waiting that long would make the process even slower so maybe you're doing better than you think, which is often the case with many of us.  I'm told it takes months for the tendons, ligaments, and everything else inside that was traumatized to return to even semi-normal.  This is so much longer a process than I ever imagined.  Hand in there - exercise on!
  • Posted

Hi Sally, can only reiterate old fat guys wise words. Sounds like you had massive knee swelling to delay leg raises. But your there now. So upwards and onwards. Keep eye on your sore scar. is it just clear fluid? My stockings are off in two weeks. Don't despair the keg will stay swollen for quite some time , but it will go. Don't worry about bend. It will improve as the swelling reduces. Keep in touch with this amazing family of supporters.

Robert

• Posted

Hello yes i had a lot of swelling but also from age 9 have had ops on this knee so have been unable to straighten my leg from bent for a long time before my op. My muscles needed a lot of strengthening. I can see progress now i just have to be patient and carry on. Thanks to all for your replies!

• Posted

Hi Sally not easy is it? You will feel better when the socks are off and progress will come albeit slowly, this op throws up all sorts of problems for the body to cope with hence the awful feeling of depression and anxiety we go through. I am nearly 6months post op and nowhere near being back to normal. I never had a problem with my bends a was discharged after 2sessions of pysio. I can walk unaided and do all my normal chores but not without discomfort. This pas week from Monday to Thursday everything felt fine, on Friday I got a lot of knee pain and feeling of loss of confidence. Saturday after a really bad night I went shopping and felt trebly and uncomfortable, I was hesitant going up and down the curbs and with the ammount of people around me. Sat night went to my sons for a murder mystery and dinner party. I struggled to go and really just wanted to curl up in a ball. It was a wonderful evening and I did participate albeit from the comfort of my chair. Found it so difficult and painful to stand from the seat and then got very wobbly. This was how I felt shortly after the op. can't believe I keep slipping back every few days. My son said mom I thought you had really conquered this op, and was really suprised to see me like this. I don't know what the answer is but something powerful seems to keep you stopping in you tracks. I will be 6months post op soon and just want the old me back take care from tucks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.