Sjogrens

Posted , 6 users are following.

can anyone with sjogrens tell me if they have experienced a metallic taste with sjogrens?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marian.

Yes. I had strange tastes in my mouth -metallic, acid, salt, even soapy I thought at one point.

I think it's moisture diminishing, do its harder for digestive juices etc. to get washed clean in the normal way.

It's hard to describe, I think, and trying to tell doctors about it just sent them off in another direction.

So generally I think it is a sign of mouth dryness, often one of the first signs of sjogrens.

• Posted

I've had this for about 7 years. It used to come and stay for a week and then just disappear. Sometimes it would go away for two days and then come back. My RA dr gave me Ecovac because he said another lady he treated complained of the metallic taste and it helped her. I took it and a side effect is nausea. I took the medicine for a couple of weeks hoping it would make the metallic taste go away but all it did was make me so sick that I ended up losing almost 10lbs. I never took it again. This past year it

seemed to have eased up and I thought maybe I was going to stop having it. Wrong. After years of having sjogrens and thinking I was so lucky compared to a lot of people who had horrible symptoms it finally hit me. Everything hit me at once and the metallic taste came back with a vengeance. After reading so many posts I know I still have it better than some. 

• Posted

Yes I have and sometimes it feels like fumes coming from my throat. I wonder if it's any of the meds? I haven't seen my rheum lately so I don't have an answer. I was wondering if anyone else had had this too. If you find out please post.

• Posted

I do rinse with warm salty water when I get the metallic taste but it doesn't help a lot. I floss, use my water pic and put warm salty water in that and some times brush with baking soda just trying to make it go away. I'm the same...if anyone finds the answer to this, PLEASE let everyone know.

• Posted

Hi Marianb

This may not be much help but I had that metallic taste about 10 years ago.  I have had Sjogren's for 47 years, the insidious kind, and some things now taste like cardboard but, as yet, the metallic taste has not returned.  At the time I was put on an antidepressant. I can't remember which one it was but it was a common one which I had tried some years before briefly (I never stayed on any for long because of the dryness side effect). I did not have the metallic taste side effect at the earlier time so I concluded in 2007 that the taste was due to the antidepressant making my mouth drier but I'm not sure that was the case as I am a lot drier now than I was then, even on the antidepressant.  I'm a bit long-winded but I think I'm saying, check your medications.

Such things affect the quality of life so badly.  I do hope it goes away again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.