Skin around knee after tkr surgery extremely sensitive

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi everyone. I am 3.5 weeks post tkr surgery. I think I am doing quite well generally. My concern is the surrounding area of my knee is extremely sensitive and painful to the touch. It's also reddish and warm but not hot. No infection as far as I can determine. The sensitivity does not seem to improve. Is this sensitivity normal?  Anyone else experience this?  The outer side is numb and I understand that is normal. Thanks in advance!  

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Gynna. Same here at 7 weeks but is improving. I massage it several time a day with Vitamin E oil, a tip I actually picked up on the forum. At my 6 week check up the doctor said yep, it's still warm- keep doing what you're doing-that's normal and it will get better! At first I couldn't even stand clothing rubbing against it and was in shorts almost all of the time. Grateful it was summer. Can wear some long pants now. Learning everything just gets better with time. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

I'm at 4 months and can finally sleep without something over my knee and it had to be something very soft. The sheets still have to be the soft ones.  My doctor says "this is a year long recovery so you're just a youngster in your recovery.  

• Posted

Hi Duckfan. My issues aren't as bad as some others. Problem for me is the blanket when I sleep. I'm fine with just a sheet over me but the extra weight of even a light blanket bothers my knee. Any tips? Sounds like you had similar issues.

• Posted

Duvet. Two pillows either side of legs to hold it away if need be. Light jersey material joggers or similar .more ideas!
    • Posted

I read on this forum awhile back of someone who fashioned a cage for the knee out of a cardboard box.  She did it to keep her husband and her cats from bumping her knee.  It would keep the covers off though.  
  • Posted

Ditto to what everyone said. I've lived in basketball shorts for 8 weeks. Just starting to wear pants for a short while. No blankets.

• Posted

To prevent irritation at the incision site from clothes and sheets, wrap the knee loosely with an ACE (elastic) sports bandage or use a knee compression sleeve one size larger than normal so that it fits loosely.  Problem solved.
    • Posted

Was thinking about an ace bandage. Great idea. Thanks. You are just a wealth of information & problem solver, Chico Marx. 😄

• Posted

I had that pain with second tkr. Drove me crazy!!! Discovered that wrapping as Chico says, did the trick. Best night's sleep in weeks. Those loose nerve endings are going haywire as they begin to find their way across. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi gynna, as you can already see - yes, we're all going through it.  I've found it interesting that my first knee TKR was so much more painful and skin more sensitive than the 2nd.  I did get an infection with the first one though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.