Skin hurting 3wk post TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys.  I'm just over 3 weeks post TKR and my skin on my knee has been gradually getting sorer and sorer.  It's an almost burning sensation and was almost unbearable last night with the bed sheets touching it.  (Have the softest pyjamas but can't wear them so have to wear a nightie).

i have been applying either e45 cream or bio oil a couple of times a day and the scar is still a tiny bit scabby but the sensation of the skin is horrible!  Is there anything I can do to stop this, or at least help it?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I didnt put anything on my scar till it was healed just massaged round it wih e45 , it could be its irritating it

try not putting any on scar for few days

• Posted

ohhhh susan im 13 weeks and the skin on my knee is still sore despite doing all the oil etc. I cant wear jeans because of this so still wearing loose trousers. I think all you can do is keep oiling and moisturising as much as you can???? I sleep with the quilt to one side of my knee lol just try find a comfy way???
  • Posted

I am 4wks post tkr and find my knee is still hyper sensitive so that I still don't wear trousers or like bedclothes touching at all. I was told to start using e45cream or bio oil only after all scabs had healed.  I massage ,cream and ice at least 3 times a day but quite often it is 4 or 5 times.
  • Posted

I don't know if it's the same but I had to have my leg opened up twice in 3 days so I have quite a lot of nerve damage. I really struggled with the tingling, painful sensations at various points on the leg. I was put on Amitriptyline to help. It took a few weeks to get the dosage right but I'm at 16 weeks now and that's no longer an issue for me. It also helped me to sleep as it made me drowsy.

I also use bio oil and E45 but didn't use this on any scab parts until healed.

• Posted

It sounds simiar to my thigh . . during the day it didn't hardly annoy me, but at night the pain became unbearable. . burning, ripping feeling as if someone was attacking me with a pair of hot tweezers!  Mine was nerve damage (and still is, although now it's just occasional electric shcks and numbness . . . the other possibility, of course, is some sort of allergy to the cream you are using???
  • Posted

Probably shouldn't apply anything I til all signs of drainage has cleared. There is more healing under the skin than on the epidermal. There are hidden stitches and much nerve damage that is starting to heal 91st your stage. Keep up the excercise and icing program with special emphasis on the rest and elevation. You are Very early in the game so you will experience man y different types and locations of pain and those will shift from time to time. What you need to look for would be any type of swelling that would appear to have pockets of fluid under the skin or show unusual drainage. If this occurs Get to an emergency room immediately as it could indicate staph. Staph has about a 28 day incubation period. Stay with the group and they will help you work 13th r ouch these concerns as the come along. Everyone goes through it so don't worry about being overly anxious. When you consider what you be been through and will be going through, you have every right to be concerned.
  • Posted

i wouldnt put anything on the scar till scab is gone only then did i use bio oil for scar i think jenfid is right it might be the problem it could be why you have it iritating it jus stop and see if it improves i think it will
  • Posted

Don't put any cream or oil on your scar until fully healed.  Only cream or oil around it.

My knee is still sentative at 14 weeks po and I can't bear jean or trousers so making do with skirts so I can at least have my leg free when relaxing.

• Posted

I had /have something very similar, to begin with it was fire, next came electric shock sensation followed by little pins sticking in, the most bizzare of all is a feeling of wettness (which I still have) it really really feels as though my wound is wet, and I can actually feel liquid running on my knee but there is nothing there, doc said it is hypersensitivity caused by nerves "refiring" most of these sensations have passed but at 10 week I am still troubled by the non existent wettness, many people have suggested many things, the main one that works for me is to have nothing at all touching it (this has led to some very bizzare outfits) pysio suggested bio oil and then cover the whole lot with cling film, this worked a charm but not all docs agree with this so seek advice, I wear silk ski  thermal leggings which have helped hugely. Most of my problems with this settled quickly so fingers crossed for you
  • Posted

Thanks guys, when I say tiny bit scabby, it's only afew of the dots where the staples have been, the main scar is clean.  I'll keep off with cream for a while, but I'm pretty sure it's not that - I don't think I explained it properly before:  the sore feeling seems to be over my whole knee, not just the scar and the skin feels raw (though it's not) but also like it is made of hot sandpaper when bedding rubs over it.  It's so difficult to explain, but it doesn't hurt or feel raw when I touch or rub it with my hands and to look at it, it is absolutely normal, no redness, no rashes, pretty scar (if you can describe scars as pretty!?).  The whole lot gets a bit warm sometimes so I ice it.

From some of the comments you've all made, with some cracking descriptions, I'm wondering if it's probably to do with nerves.

• Posted

Susan your fine with the oils and creams My District Nurse took my dressing off 10 days post op and told me to start using them straight away???? Then I had awful scabs etc so im sure ul be fine at 3 weeks!!!!!!
    • Posted

something strange about nerve pain is that if you rub it or massage it, it isn't really painful . .but if you touch it ever so lightly . .with a sheet, for example, it hurts!  Seems illogical, but that's how it was with mine. . .(still is occasionally . . )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.