skipped heartbeats

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does any one have similar, i seem to go a couple weeks wihout skipped slow heartbeat and breathless for a while than heart goes back into sequence.  then back again when resting out of the blue.  Been to GP and A and E like many folk, ECG and trace pulse bloods and checking out chest and breathing all OK, still dont see how this can be just normal and or stress,  I seem to be in an anxiety state but carry on life as normal as i can i do then get tired and have to have time alone to recover and get some space when all this happens again.   any other sufferers comments i wld greatly appreciate many thanks

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie

This sonds similar to a condition called 'Arythmia' which is basically an irregular heartbeat. As I write this, I am actually having an episode of it right now, with feelings of discomfort and extremely mild stabs of pain (barely pain really), and like you, I have been in a more or less relaxed state, not having done anything today so far that I would call hard work.

It is a common condition and is not considered abnormal in the healthiest of people. It is only when the frequency and the length of the 'attack' (for want of a better word) become longer, that without treatment, over a period of time, there is a risk of complications.

Fear not, you are nowhere near that level. It comes and goes without warning. It never seems to have a trigger that you can pin it down to. I have gone for some time without it happening and you simply forget it. however, over the past three weeks I have had several episodes like the one right now.

I have a regular medication to regulate my heartbeat, and apart from discomfort I carry on with life as normal. It does tire you out though I must admit, but that is physiologically to be expected.

Don't fret or worry. This will not do you any harm. Should it occur more often, or start lasting for more than a few minutes, then see your Doctor again. Please don't make the mistake of imagining there is something wrong with your heart, because if this gets ingrained in your mind, it will increase your anxiety and very likely make matters worse.

It is a simple 'blip' in the electrical impule to the heart, and is in many cases quite normal. However, I am not minimising the fact that it can feel scary, so I hope my contribution has brought some reassurance.

My very best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi, try reading Dr Joe Diapenza's 'you are the Placebo'....buy in Amazon.....absolutely brilliant...
    • Posted

Hello Aidan

I shall look that up. Thank you very much for the information.

Warmest regards.

• Posted

An ectopic beat is what it sounds like to me. Harmless but annoying. I had them for 5 years. It was only until they were caught on ecg and explained by a cardiologist what they were when they started to go away. Mine are brought on by stressful situations or lack of sleep. I hardly ever get them now though, the only reason I used to get 100s a day was because I was so scared and worried of the unknown. Wondering all the time what they were made them so much worse.....did you experience the missed beats on ecg?...if not you need them catching to get an explanation... Its the mind that causes ectopic beats. I know for a fact, I have been there and delve proved it my self...the mind is so powerful.....All the best....
  • Posted

Hi Debi do u feel squeezes in the middle of your chest, or do u feel breathing is hard and sometimes u can't catch ur breath and sometimes u feel like ur heart is going to suddenly stop. Pls reply as soon as possible as we may help each other and hope u feel better soon! Thanx!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.