Skipped my period for 2 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi The last time I got my period was 1/28. I got it on 3/16 for one day. It really wasn't a period just a brown spotting and then it was gone the same day. The past couple of months I feel totally bloated all over. My stomach, legs arms etc. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm 53 and this is the longest with not getting my period. Some months I skip 1 month or I get it twice month.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've gotten more frequent periods and spotting.  Last month got mine twice.  Waiting to see what happens this month.  I feel really crappy since the start of this month.  Having the worst trouble staying asleep. I hope my peri doesn't last as long as my mom's.  She started in her mid-40s and didn't fully menopause until 55.
  • Posted

Hi susan0310:

I haven't had any periods for several years now, but I'm going through all the symptoms of menopause.  During the last year I had my periods, I was getting them all different ways: spotting, then heavy flow, then normal flow, then nothing at all, etc. I'd get them every 2 weeks, then nothing for 3 months, then one every week.  It was crazy.  I was afraid to plan anything, thinking my period would hit, and I was right......I'd be out somewhere or out of town and my period came. I ended-up not planning anything anymore, and just doing things near home.  I had bloating and swollen ankles sometimes, but that had been normal with me during my periods, anyway.  I don't like taking medication, so I drank a lot of water and green tea (green tea was hardly heard of, then).  I made sure to put my feet up when I was home.  I wore pants all the time, afraid I'd get my period in a dress or skirt, or that someone would notice my swollen ankles in a dress.  The pants made me feel "safe", and they were always dark-colored.  I brought tampons and pads in my purse with me, everywhere.  The final 2 periods were extrememly heavy.  I bled through my scrubs in the doctors' office I worked at, and the blood was going onto the seat of the chair.  My coworker saw it, and yelled.  If she didn't yell, I would've never known (I had no pain, no cramping, no nothing).  After those 2 huge periods, I haven't had any more for the past 8 years.  It was like they were telling me "We're going out with a bang".  Make sure you go to the doctor, and tell her/him everything, and ask for full bloodwork to be done (all the tests to show menopause, too).  You won't feel at ease or with peace of mind until you go to the doctor and have those tests done.  Until then, you're just driving yourself crazy wondering what is wrong, and I did that and I was going nuts.

• Posted

Hi Susan!

Yes I've experienced similar. I am 56 and have been in Peri since I was 47. In the last year my cycles are just like you describe-I've even gone several months without one thinking -Yippee only to have them start up again. Everyone has different experiences but this sounds typical for Perimenopause

I had blood work done a year ago and was told (during the extended time of no periods) that I was post menopausal. Since my cycles restarted on a regular basis for a few months after that..........so as much as we'd like to rely on blood work at this time, it's best to follow your symptoms.

Wishing you the best!

Annie 

• Posted

Good read. Thanx for sharing. I feel the same way about the whole blood test-says-you're-in-menopause-so-that-means-you-are! That's what my dr stands by, says after I have this polyp removed Monday, I won't bleed any longer. Haha I actually just started another one of my sporadic periods this past Saturday (day b4 Easter) AND IT IS a PERIOD, not just spotting, like my Dr says I'm doing (really? I think I know my body best these past 55 yrs--not him!!) I'm 55 and I felt like calling his offices n passing on the "good news" as I don't agree that removing this polyp will stop these sporadic periods. But...we'll see. I just don't see the relationship between a polyp and periods. Does anyone out there know? I think periods and menopause have a relationship, but not polyp removals and periods. Oye vay , it's all so frustrating. Hair loss, stomache expanding, low metabolism, weight gain, itchy neck...just to mention a few life changes...the 50's have not been kind To my body. 
    • Posted

Hi Karen!

I remember responding to your post a few days ago-you aren't kidding how unkind these days can be.Today and for past several days I feel so old......boo hiss! By the way, when are you scheduled to have the polyp removed? 

I work in Ultrasound and we see women that have polyps and all kinds craziness (fibroids) going on and honestly I don't know if I've ever heard that the scenario you are describing being caused by a polyp.  I am not a doctor, but yeeesh-spotting possibly....regular bleeds? I doubt it. I know from my own experience-a few years back my periods were heavier and I had a scan done and discovered that I have several small fibroids. Were they the cause of heavy bleeding-some people say yes, but actually in past year or so my periods lightened up. There are women that do have to have hysterectomies due to the fibroids (fireballs as we call them) causing such discomfort.

Proof will be in the pudding so to speak if the removal of the polyp helps matters, but again.....it'll be a new one.  

Hoping the best for you Karen! Keep us informed!

Annie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.