Sleep anxiety and Citalopram efficacy past 2 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys!

It’s been a while- 4 months, to be exact!

I hope everyone is hanging in there and gradually recovering... I find it such a comfort coming here when I’m having a ‘blip’ and this forum has been a real crutch to lean on when i’ve needed it!

& recently, I feel as though I need it again. I actually experience a very unfortunate case of seretonin syndrome (completely by accident) where I took some night nurse & day nurse for about 3 days following an ongoing chest infection... had cold sweats, felt foggy and had an extreme strange form of sleeplessness (not anxiety related) where I would wake at 5am and could not sleep... 3 days later I realised - night and day nurse have a chemical in them not recommended to be taken with SSRI’s, this was especially the case with Night Nurse (strong stuff!!).

After this I developed anxiety regarding sleep, as this affected me badly when I first began these meds back in Jan 2016, however thanks to Citalopram- this was cured after a while due to the absence of the anxiety causing it.

I am nowhere near as bad as when I first started Cit, however as now getting anxiety every time I go to bed- during the day before- however am managing to get myself off to sleep for around 6 hours waking at around 5:30/6 in the morning.

I’m not sure if I’m suffering with this due to the Cit’s efficacy running out (2 and a half years since Jan 16’ on 20mg) 

I’m not sure whether to consider changing medication- although a part of me feels as though I can get through this ‘blip’ without changing...

Any similar experiences, comments or general advice appreciated! 

Sending everyone here lots of love and stay strong! smile

Lu xxx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes you cannot take dextromethorphan..with celexa...but you can take guaifenesin..if you ever get a cold again..your having a blip..hold on and see what happens next week.

• Posted

Just seen this- thanks Lois! I know- was so annoyed at myself- will not do that again! Just going to try and be patient!! X
    • Posted

Another question ..are you taking celexa with any other med..together or near the same time... because I was doing that for two years..and just recently switched my celexa on it's own in the mornings instead of in the evening with my other two meds..and wow what s difference does that made for me..I sleep better and the lingering little side effects have disappeared..thank goodness...

• Posted

Hi Lois,

I take mine along with fish oil, which I find compliments it nicely and I do take the pill as well for PCOS. But other than that I don’t take any other medication.

Sometimes, a B12 supplement due to my diet. But other than that nothing...

Am thinking of coming off the pill, so I just have one form of medication in my system... but not sure! smile

Louise x

• Posted

Do you have any emergency diazapam for your blips....??
    • Posted

Hi lois,

No I don't I like to try abd get through them myself- then they don't affect me as much the next time as I know I’ve already got through that particular blip or ‘anxietysmile x

• Posted

Hi I was the same i was doing fine on cit started on 20mg got down to 10mg then i took some anti biotics it was horrendous

I was put back up to 20mg but it has taken me quite a few weeks i am on my 12th week and still getting the odd blip but overall managing well x Stick to the med as uou know it works for you

• Posted

Hey Michelle, 

I’m so glad your doing better. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼I know you and I are at the same time. I just started my 12th week today. I too am still getting a blip yesterday I was my old self again like nothing ever existed. Today I’m having bouts of yawning and ears clogging and anxiety. But I’ll take these symptoms over the Naseau or panic attacks any day! I’m keeping focused and optimistic! 

Will😎

• Posted

Thanks Michelle- that is really comforting to hear! 

I’m so surprised at the moment as normally I can really reason myself out of a ‘blip’ and can accept that blips are a part of life. I think it’s largely due to the chemicals in the meds!! So so annoyed at myself!! 

I will stick to 20 and just wait for it to balance out! 

Thanks for your experience! Xo

• Posted

Hey it will be okay it is just a blip! Having a blip here myself mine is hormonal though. Thinking of you x
  • Posted

Hi! How are you doing? Did you decide to stick with the Citalopram?

?I'm in a similar situation of my anxiety returning....I think I'm looking at switching meds which I'm not looking forward to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.