Sleep Anxiety is actually ripping me apart

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 18, and I've never had problems with anxiety ever. None that kept me awake for days. But I got a job 2 weeks ago at a local food store and the day before the interview I layed in bed from 11pm-5am trying to sleep. in these hours I went through the worst hell in my life. I tossed turned heart was beating 300bpm it was absolutely horrible. Now I wake up with the same beating heart worrying that I won't fall asleep tonight. EVEN IF IT'S 7AM IM STILL SCARED ABOUT NOT SLEEPING TONIGHT. It's been killing me. I'm afraid I'll never get on schedule for work hours and I'll be a zombie forever. I've tried everything so please don't advise valarian root, melatonin, or any all natural sleep aids. If anyone can relate it would help. My anxiety is off the charts.

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

You're thinking too much. Just go to sleep. You dont have to try or do anything. Take melatonin if you have it. Otherwise stay away from lights (your computer screen and just relax. Goodnight.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think the most before I go to bed and that is when my anxiety is the worse. I had taking things to sleep but I heard Kava root is good, melatonin, shoot even tylonal pm or benedryl. Those can all help. Believe me people tell me all the time just chill out stop thinking so much. Sh*t I wish I could stop my thoughts but I just have them and I try. It is easier said then done but you need to figure out a better routine for working this late shift. The less slee you have the worse your going to feel. But I am the same and it sucks. Gotta wear your mind down however that may be.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Mitch

I fully understand how you feel. My anxiety started when I was working. One day I didn't want to leave the safety of my bedroom.

You are scared of the unknown because the job is a new experience for you.

See how you go and you may find that you enjoy the job afterall. It will keep youbusy and help you stop thinking about anxiety.

However, saying that you must see your doctor. They hear your problem all the time and should be helpful.

Best of luck sweetheart

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Heya, 

My heart goes out to you. I had this problem for a really long time. Unfortunatly it's something that just passes but you have to find ways of dealing with it whilst its around. 

I know you said not to suggest natural remedies, but have you tried lavender oil? It's not a miricale worked but it certainly helped me relax and actually made my eyes tired.

Something else i've tried is watching films. I know someone suggested keeping away from lights, but for me, the reason i couldn't sleep was because i was thinking too much about the things that were making me anxious and worrrying that something was wrong with me and the fact that i couldn't sleep! So i began to watch films which took my mind off of what was going around in my head. This is an iffy one, because it works for me and i eventually fall asleep, but you don't want to let yourself be dependable on it! But for nights you realy cant sleep or relax i do reccomend it. A healthier option is reading a book- reading intensly makes your eyes strain and will eventually make them tired, making you want to sleep- try it!

Something else i tried was downloading an app on my phone that just had relaxing sounds on such as water, wind, waves etc. It sounds stupid but it did actually help me, it's worth a try.

Something else i did, the most effective of all, was write down how i was feeling. Write down how fustrating it is that you can't sleep. How it worries you. How it makes you feel. Don't take your pen off the page and keep writing until your hand hurts. I used to do this a lot and its really really satisfying for the mind. 

Something to try and remember is that, when you can't sleep, it's because you don't need it. When I can't sleep I think 'it's because my brain is fully rested, my body doesn't need it. It's not a problem because i'm fully rested." if you keep telling yourself that you'll stop worrying so much and eventually you'll fall asleep. My heart really goes out to you, and i promise you it WILL PASS. But maybe try some of these techniques to help you sleep.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Relaxation tapes on utube. Maybe . Wish you luck. Its hard to live like this.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up