Sleeping!

Posted , 11 users are following.

OK ladies and Gentlemen I am going to stick my British head above the parapet and ask the question.....So here I am post 6wks and " himself" is banned to the spare bedroom,now whilst I have enjoyed starfishing across the bed and reading with the lights on whilst eating ginger biscuits I would rather like hin back in his rightful place but were both dead scared he is going to kick me,well we had a family get together and the girls came up with the "bolster " down the middle of the bed one,so we tried this and he lay there like a petrified cadaver and then I turned over to settle down for the night,got the turn wrong ( as you do) and yowled in pain, well, that was it, he announced loudlly " thats it, Im outa here" and pushed off next door. So..... when did you all get back into the same bed again? or is this it! Am I destined to spend the rest of my life reading my way through Dickens and eating the worlds supply of ginger biscuits?? Now nobody has to answer this allthough it would be helpful, Or I could, after 45 years just get single beds finally,rolleyes

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

We bought an Ikea 1.6metre double bed with 2 single mattresses 20 years ago when  my husband was post-chemo for cancer and we realised the only good night's sleep I got was while on holiday in Germany. Double beds there rarely have an enormous mattress as in the UK, they are 2 singles in a double bed frame. In fairness, they are also often 1 metre wide (bliss!!!!). Since himself also had totally lost his sense of central heating due to the chemo he got a winter duvet all year round, plus extra when needed, I had a summer weight one. 

Result: a good night's for both of us and unlike single beds there isn't a permanent large gap ;-). For a long time I used single sheets until I got fed up with things falling down the middle and now I use large fitted stretch double ones. But we haven't gone back to a double duvet - that is just awful on the occasions we are staying in a hotel in the UK and there is no choice of single beds. When staying with our daughters we pack the single duvets on the back seat of the car.

But "posh" people often have separate bedrooms - I wouldn't say no but we only have a 3 room flat here in Italy! Or does himself have a guilty secret? Not another woman but while YOU eat ginger nuts is he happily watching TV without you objecting to the light/volume/rubbish he's watching?

• Posted

Oh yes - knew I'd forget something: making the bed with 2 single foam mattresses is a doddle compared with a double UK spring mattress! 
    • Posted

Thats it Eileen!!! The swine must be letting her in thru the window and theirs me alone in my bed happily eating my weight in ginger nuts, funny how he has stared brushing his hair again in the morning.............
  • Posted

I never thought about that, am still in hospital and the bed is bliss.  It could be single beds for you young lady😍
  • Posted

As we only had one bedroom at the time we had to put up with it. We used a pillow down the middle and he had to get used to my shouts in the night. cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi Fran. I had my op 16 weeks ago an my hubby has just recently moved back into our bed.  He has bee ninths spare room and has been too afraid to return to our's incase he kicked me and I throttled him lol. I must admit it has been lovely to have the big bed to myself and have been able to stretch out and like you say, eat biccies to my hearts content. Since he moved back I have been fighting for the duvet as he rolls over and takes it with him !! I'm considering having the other knee done just to get the bed back!!  On second thoughts I'd rather fight for the duvet😀😀xx
  • Posted

I'm 5weeks 4days post op and spend my nights playing musical beds nearly every night! I start off in our king size bed with a pillow shoved down the middle of the bed to stop my poor knee getting kicked by my husband and then I usually wake up in pain and hobble off to my daughter's double bed which is bliss as I can spread out comfortably! (She's generally at her boy friends house which leaves a spare room!)

To be honest, I'd much rather sleep on my own until my knee settles down a bit if I had the opportunity 100% of the time (and I could eat my biscuits in bed without any complaints!)cheesygrin

• Posted

Och Glenda Im not putting on music as well cheesygrin Its really funny himself shouting thru the wall, " night Fran" and me shouting " night lad" Were like the blooming Waltons!
  • Posted

Hi Fran 

loved reading your post

everything you say is so very true my other half has been banished to the spare room for the past 12 weeks 

like your other half he's afraid he's going to kick me

i still don't sleep at night and Yowl when I turn over

i've been wondering if I've finally given him grounds for divorce

(58) years of marriage and seperate beds the only good thing is... I don't have to listen his snoring

Jean 12 weeks post op 

• Posted

Maybe we should reclaim our rooms Jean and stick up Elvis and Beatle posters and paint it all pink like our Mums and Dads wouldnt let us do all those years ago biggrin  Maybe I will let him have a probation period,but not till after Xmas eh? x
  • Posted

I'm a lot further along than you, having had both knees replaced last year. I never even thought about my husband kicking me in bed!  As soon as I came out of hospital we shared our bed without anything between us and had no problems.

I'd say your knee is stronger than what you think, so try to stop worrying and try to carry on like you did before your op. 

Good Luck!

• Posted

It's good to hear so many of you have gone down the separate beds route. I love being able to stretch my leg out in our big bed and my husband, who often wakes in the early hours and used to go downstairs, now puts his light on, reads for a while and goes back to sleep in his single bed!  When we go visiting we manage to sleep together ok but at home the new arrangement suits us both😊😊💤💤 
  • Posted

My husband slept in the spare room for a few nights after I came home, but we have shared a bed most of the time. It is uncomfortable at times although he has never kicked me. I just can't spread out as I would like. We have a queen sized bed.
    • Posted

I guess sometimes we need a cuddle especially if we're feeling a bit down 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.