Sleeping and bits

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to the doctors trhis morning for a blood test result of another problem I have.  The blood test came back nearly 'normal' only 8 pointss over 51,   but a lot better than first diagnosed with fatty liver at 537 in April 2013.  The liver numbers were coming down Oct 14- 160, April 15 after the op a rise to  260..Had a scan, that proved goo showing nothing.. The reason for blood tests has proved that the meds I took, including anti inflamatory, caused the upset.  BUT while I was there I talked about not sleeping and that this was not just me but seemed to be everyone who had this op, the doctor was quite suprised to hear that...anyway result is I have 14  tablets to take one very night, don't leave a night out, this should get me back hopefully  into a sleeping mode. So we shall see.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Forgot to add that I was soo stiff this morning had problems walking....19weeks PO...yesterday I spent from 2 until 7 at Lancaster Uni as it was my granddaughters grqaduation and I must have walked miles and only sat for short stops until we watched the live ceremony on a video sceeen in a lecture hall from 4 until 6.30 and didn't move, could not even stretch my leg.  Had to forgo going back for drinks and food, knew I would be in trouble today and so I am.  Even the doc asked if I was OK when I sort of limped in his surgery.
  • Posted

You poor thing!  If it's not one thing it's another. Not ideal but Dr gave me some sleeping tablets the other day - took just half of one and it was so nice to get a good nights sleep.  I hope the tablets work for you.

Not surprised you hurt today after that lot yesterday!  Hope you now have your feet up, abit of ice .... And maybe a tipple of something nice!

• Posted

Hi Hazel,

What was the medication your doctor gave you to help get your sleeping back on track? Would love to know cuz at 19 weeks post op it is still a big problem.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Joyce, yes it was I am 19 weeks as well.  it is called  Nopiclone, I went to bed at 10.30 last night, slept till 4pm, had a bathroom break and slept through tili  7.30....  felt a little disorientated for about 10 mins but after a drink of tea felt OK again.  Don't have a 'thick head' feeling. Hope this is the start of getting back into a sleeping routine.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Wonder why the doctor was surprised when there are so many people, including me , who have problems sleeping after this op?

Maybe he or she is not listening to the patients. The doctors need to start reading these posts for themselves.

Hope you manage to sort this sleeping problem out.

Sarah

• Posted

This seems to prove that the doctors have very little idea about the post op period.  It cannot be coincidence that nearly everyone on this forum has trouble sleeping. . .and it isn't just pain which causes it.  I don't get that much pain now but I still can't sleep . . Strange how they can be doing these operations and not be aware of what happens to us afterwards . . and a bit worrying!
    • Posted

I had tramadol for a back injury about two years ago and went into a very long period of virtually  not sleeping for days on end. Also believe it or believe it not my breathing would slow down and completely stop when I tried to sleep and sometimes while I was awake, it was absolutely terrifying. When I told the Quack all I got was that it's impossible to suffocate as there is an automatic response which will force you to breathe.

From what I have researched into Tramadol with certain people it shuts off the signals for automatic breathing  and also stops the sleep signal to the brain.I realise it has this effect on me and I would never ever take it again

When your sleep pattern is disturbed it can take weeks to get back to normal as it's very sensitive human function not to be messed about with.

• Posted

Response to pain killers is different in different people . . I know some people have terrible hallucinations with tramadol. it suited me very well, but obvously no good for others.  Ibuprofeno does absolutely nothing for me . . I don't think tramadol was the reason for my sleep pattern disappearing, as I didn't manage to get hold of until three weeks after the op, and the insomnia had started from day one after the op. . . .
    • Posted

I truly do sypathise with you Martinarvelo I never realised what a life changing situation insomnia could be,just lying there waiting for the daylight to appear through the curtains.

I like alot of people on here have walked (limped ) the streets in the early hours just like me to try to take their mind off of it and make their bodies  even more tired but to no avail.

Thankfully the ability to actually get some sleep gradually came back to me very slowly at first but nearly two years later I can sleep reasonabley well.In fact it is alledged by my Wife that I snore but I don't believe that as I have never heard me do such a thing!

• Posted

When I say 'I haven't slept for hours' my husband always says the same . .'Well, you were snoring!;  sometimes I know you do sleep without realising it. sometimes I suddenly remember a dream, and realise that in fact I must have slept. . but there is no denying the hours and hours of tossing and turning.  I'm afraid I have also sometimes heard myself snor . . and it wakes me up!  Poor husband. . thank heavens he is going a bit deaf . . . 

• Posted

WELL!  I went to bed at 11.30pm woke at 3, bathrrom break, then woke at EIGHT! decided,  would just lie there for a minute to fully wake, next it was 9.45am!   Had a cup of tea and really just coming round now... very relaxed feelin,no headache but not had breakfast yet.  Going out to a BBQ this afternoon.     So far so good...
  • Posted

Well, 5 days in, taking the tablet at 9.30pm - start to feel quite sleepy hour and half later.   Go to bed, wake at 3, bathroom visit, holding on to door and bannister as quite woozy, sleep again to 6, turn and wake at 8 or even 8.45.    I am feeling better in myself, still a little bit hazy until lunch but can put up with that.  Hopefully It has started to trigger my sleeping habit back again but will see.  the waking at 3 and 5-6 has been happening since the op so that might be a permanent thing.

We shall see, but everything else is fine. 20weeks po today.

• Posted

I have found something very strange about the bathroom visit!  I have had to get up once or twice a night for ages, but I have discovered that if I take a parcetamol before going to bed, I don't need to get up!  However, I can't do that long term obvously . . . but I really cannot understand why this happens!  At the moment, with my terrible ankles, getting up in the night is a big problem . .need crutches to walk to the loo, and the pain is excruciating for the first thirty or forty steps, so it's very tempting to get the tablets out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.