Sleepless nights

Posted , 9 users are following.

I fall asleep and wake suddenly about 1.5 hours later with lots of odd sensations including aches and pains, anxiety and  fear.  I will drop off and then be suddenly woken again.  Eventually i go back to sleep about 4 am !  Does this happen to anyone else?  This happens every couple of months.  My periods have been erratic for about 2 years now. 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

yes thats common ihave that exactly been struggling for around 16 months, anxiety bad in mornings to the extent i can t get up and motivate am severely depressed too, not sure whats best to do ..
    • Posted

Its awful is nt it?  I don t know what to do either really.  Its so random too-never know when its going to happen. 

Just feel horrible the next day!   Do you have feelings of fear too?

• Posted

yes fear terribly.  just comes in waves whenever but mainly mornings or when planningto do something.  all i know is have never ever felt so ill suposing its all hormones which i think it is.  very hard to deal with

• Posted

Another lady who often contributes to this site posted that when the hormones start to decrease the adrenal gland tries to make up for it, releasing more adrenaline which can lead to the feelings of anxiety, fear and lack of sleep.  I know, it's awful!

• Posted

Thank you thats helped.  Really thought i was dying last night !!!
    • Posted

I can empathize. I was awake for nearly 48 hours straight one time.  Hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

All I can say is talk to your GYN or PCP. I had a great PCP(He decided he didn't want to be a PCP anymore). I was four years postmenopausal before I started having problems so I feel blessed in that respect. My major symptoms, were anxiety, doom and gloom thoughts(mostly in the mornings), and depression. He put me on 100mg of the antidepressant Trazodone to take at bedtime and Valium to help with the anxiety. I was taking Xanax but it stays in your system for such a short time, I felt like I had to take it too often. The Trazodone and the Valium have worked for me. Sometimes I forget to take the Trazodone and I only take the the Valium about twice a week now, or if I have to deal with something that makes me anxious. But it took a while to find a combination that worked for me. I can't take HRT because of my fibriods and that's fine with me.  One doctor put me on Zoloft and the side effect were horrible! but it works great for other people. If you have a doctor you can really talk to do it. If not, try to find one that you can talk to. I'm still looking. I thought I had found one but she was awful. But in the meantime you can come on this forum and talk to us!!!  smile

• Posted

I know. I have never had sleeping problems, until peri. A few years ago, I woke up every night at three and did not fell asleep until five. Mornings, around seven, were terrible, I was tired, sleepy and depressed. This lasted a year or so. Now it is much better, and it happens only sometimes.
  • Posted

Hi Paula.

i know what you mean the past 4 years i was dealing with the same thing!

i was getting up so scared around 1am, i will go to my living room turn TV on and the lights and i had so many crazy thoughts and fears going through my mind.

After while i start reading and i will get tired and go back to sleep.

Now i get up around 5am, watch some tv and go back to sleep.

It will get better with time. The only thing is bothering me right now with my sleep are the weird and scary dreams!!

xxxx

• Posted

Maria, I also have weird dreams! Not really scarry but very very realistic. When I wake up i feel sometimes confused where I am and what is reality.

Usually my dreams deal with situations from my past, like that I quarrelled with a friend when I was a teenager, etc. It is so real! I think that my brain probably re-organise my memory and clean the old stuff.

My mother who is ninety has a bad osteoporosis, and she took pills based on hormones for some time. The pills helped (no pain, better movement etc.), but she had to stop because of weird dreams she got!

• Posted

I used to great night sleep every night. The last year or two that has changed, especially recently. I also wake up with strange sensations or anxious feeling. Sometimes I startle awake right when I am about to drift off to sleep.
  • Posted

I would say this is the biggest problem I face while going through the menopause. I'm taking sleeping tablets at the moment as I simply can't deal with a full days work on only 2 hours sleep. It's horrid isn't it? Nothing seems to help so I want to try acupuncture next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.