Sleeplisness,depression and extreme pain 6 weeks out

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 6 was posted on a TKR. Pain has been manageable, but tonight is UNBEARABLE! I have an extremely sharp pain on the outside of my leg , thigh to ankle. I've and heat don't work. Ive trier 2 Norco, add ibuprofen and Adavan to help me sleep. Everytime I move I scream in pain. I saw surgeon today and all was good.

I'm so uncomfortable I just want to scream. I want it over. I can't take the pain! Please help!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda, So sorry to hear this.

Did you do anything at all different yesterday?

Did the surgeon do anything unusual? Twist your leg or bend it ?

Did you have to travel far to see surgeon?

Did you do anything excessive at all yesterday?

• Posted

I walked more today than usual and stood longer than normal. I immediately started icing it, hoping to get ahead of it, but that was 10 hours ago! This pain is excruciating! Surgeon didn't manipulate or twist. I don't understand what would bring this on. This is why I worry about people returning to work too early.

Thank you for your voncern

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I am feeling for you big time. I can only say see or ring your surgeon first thing.

Yesterday I tested myself by driving, about 25-30 minutes, it went relatively well. Bit last night pain woke me at 1.00 am, and every hour or so after. Icing now to see how it goes. Really feeling pressure tob get back to work.

Sorry to share this when you are in similar or worse pain.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Linda I'm so sorry to hear your struggling, I'm only 3 weeks post op and it feels like every other day I'm getting more pain then the next not too bad.

i would try and take it easy for a few days elevate ice and pain relief regularly and rest up and hopefully you will feel better really soon, I'm finding it a bit frustrating not being able. To get about but hoping in the long run that were all be free of pain and able to lead normal lives take care 😀

• Posted

Good advice Debbie.

Hope you're pain settles soon.

Though there will be good and not so good days on going.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

We will. We will.

Overall I am very happy with things so far.

As Cheryl on here keeps reminding us all, a positive attitude is key.

I am a very positive person, but on a couple of occasions in the past 8 weeks it has been challenged.

When this happens I remind myself that there are people a lot worse off health wise than me, and I appreciate my luck.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

OH, Linda, you poor dear. I wonder if it is your sciatica nerve, or a pinched nerve. Do not add heat! See if you can get a massage. Perhaps you should go to an emergency room to get it checked. I had that a few years ago and all I wanted was to be put down. Please get help before it overcomes you. Might not be anything with the knee at all. Ice ice and ice. Let us know how you make out. 
    • Posted

It's not funny, but u made me laugh when u said u just wanted to be put down! It's so strange how these things just come out of nowhere!

I have physical therapy today, so I'm hoping they have some answers!

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Posted

Linda I'm 11 weeks po and I still have good days and bad days. Sun and mon were terrible. No idea what I could have done to make it so painful. Most likely I over did it. Someone on here said don't stay in one position for a long time. If you're sitting make sure your up walking even a few minutes every hr. . I have found this very helpful. Of course ice elevate and rest. I also bought new shoes (sneakers). My others I wore when my knee was bad. I'm know I wasn't walking right so the shoes wore that way. Just think about it. I think they have helped. Hoping your day gets better and you feel some relief from your pain soon. I remember where you are. It's a tough operation. It will get better..
    • Posted

Just a note about shoes...I was told to get rid of old shoes, especially the ones with worn heels and buy new. Otherwise you will be walking wrong again.

• Posted

So was I, especially pumps. I was told wear training shoes with good arch support and never wear pumps again. For work get shoes too with good support as on feet all day. Suppose good excuse to go shopping.
  • Posted

What you are describing is not the norm. You need to call your surgeon. You should not be using heat so soon after surgery only ice. Heat increases the swelling. Do you remember twisting or pivoting your knee accidentally?
    • Posted

I don't remember twisting. I just wonder if it's just a reaction to too much walking yesterday. If so, its a real lesson in not pushing too hard too soon!
  • Posted

Linda, maybe you did overdo a little yesterday but it is strange the whole leg hurting. Take it very easy today and see how it goes. It could be nerves all wakening up , i experienced that in my thigh and spoke to physio. She said hard massage should help and pain meds. It took a few days to settle. If in lot pain I would ring consultant or go to accident and emergency dept and get checked. Hope it settles for you. Sue
    • Posted

My son is a chiropractor, and he said the same thing about the nerves waking up. If that's the case- GO BACK TO SLEEP!! LOL.

I wonder about massage helping, but also worry about blood clots.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.