Slight accidents.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had IBS for around 9 years, in that whole time I've had 2 accidents, very slight but accidents nonetheless... sort of misjudged flatulance.

My question is, is it normal to have accidents with IBS? Does anyone else have them? Or am I the only one? It makes me feel so embarrassed even though no one knows...

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I've hadIBs for 3 years. Prior to being diagnosed I had one "accident" - like you it was misjudged flatulence. I had several near misses too!!! Since diagnosis, and the Low Fodmap diet, I have been pretty much  ok. 

Jan

• Posted

I'm really getting to the stage where I'm wondering if I really need food to live... Haha! But seriously it's starting to get me down, these flare ups for no reason! 😣😣 seems it's back to the food diary!!!

• Posted

I know how you feel. I wish I could get substance to live on like a plant from the sun and earth without having to eat this BRAT diet.  It's getting to the point where I HATE rice cakes.  Yes, yes whenever I go out, I try to make sure I know where the bathrooms are.  I almost embarrassed myself in a super WalMart not long ago.  Attack from hell out of nowhere for no reason (I hadn't eaten that day either).  I didn't know where the bathrooms were, I started hot footing it thru the isles and every clerk I saw yelling WHERE'S THE BATHROOMS.  I think I scared and startled several people.  I actually had my hand behind me on my behind and was squeezing my butt cheeks together.  I just made it.  I broke down and cried -- my husband thot I had lost my mind.  Nasty IBS.

• Posted

Oh dear, that is awful!!! sad

I have to know where the bathrooms are otherwise it triggers my anxiety big time!!!

• Posted

Living on the BRAT diet isn't healthy. Have you tried any other ways of relieving your IBS?

• Posted

Because of the 205-16 nasty flare up (passing of mother and dealing with all her affairs), the BRAT has been almost all I can handle.  I have added eggs,  rinsed canned chicken and rinsed canned peas (where sugar lurks).  It's amazing but I seem to be able to eat certain TV dinners with no problem so I'm going to stock up on those -- especially meat and veggies (toss out the starch). I know I need more protein in my diet.  thanx for your reply. 

• Posted

Plain chicken and white fish seem to sit well, boiled or mashed potato (No skin no fat). I also eat crackers, pretzels, toast, and boiled carrots when things are dodgy
  • Posted

Accidents with IBS are normal.  I had a period of loose, urgent stools shortly before I was diagnosed because I was panicking about my symptoms and not getting any help from doctors.  I once had a very slight leakage and then my stools went back to constipation or normal.  Don't worry.

• Posted

I had an accident last month with red wine came totally out of nowhere and felt nothing til i went for a pee. Thankfully it was cleanable easy but i got a big shock ... so now if im going on a trip or anywhere toilets arent to hand im going to carry or wear an adult nappy on the days i feel symptoms are likely. I did this on a long drive recently and it actually felt quite pleasant if you can get over the thought. Add to that i felt no stress which was nice and i managed to relax and symptoms stayed at bay. Not saying this is the answer but it did provide relief / respite
  • Posted

Glad to see I'm not alone! Although not glad to see we all suffer this! sad I will defitnely be taking most of these ideas on board!!! Thank you!

• Posted

Second the adult nappy or incontinence pad/sanitary towel. I had the start of what was my worst attack ever (lasted 4 months) the week before I went on holiday. 4 hrs on a plane terrified me so I took 4 Imodium and borrows an adult nappy. Felt kinda stupid but it did provide some relief!
    • Posted

I would much rather change a nappy than suffer the indignity of either being smelly or worse maybe a visible stain. I wore an ID Slip to the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and no staring and no noise audible. It was bliss to not worry especially as flatulence was bad that day. Holding it all day just in case only creates more stress. Id resort to immodium for a date, work, meeting etc

I normally have ibs c symptoms but certain foods and occassions make the other type appear so im getting used to the stress free insurance of a nappy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.