Slow but progressing

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone

New bloods. All is know until I pick the paperwork up tomorrow is that my T3 & 4 are "normal" said the nurse who phoned me. All I could get out of her was my TSH is still low - but higher than last blood!  It went from 0.015 to 0.07.  I've been on 10 mg Methimazole since January 11th of this year so is this good progress with TSH?

I take all supplements and L-Carnitine 3000mg daily. I wanted to wait to start Acetyl Carnitine until this blood test so I know if it makes a dramatic change on me or if the change was plain L-Carnitine. 

If my T's are on the low side, is it safe to drop 2.5 off 10mg dose? I'm not going back to the endo who tested me and ordered meds. I don't like him and the copay is too high for me to pay. I'll ask my PCP to keep monitoring me, as he's been doing. 

Should I stay longer on the 10mg until the TSH raises?  Should I switch over to Acetyl Carnitine now and stay at 10?  Not sure what to do and Endo doesn't even know about supplements ... only prescription meds. 

I don't think my PCP will advise me on cutting meds as this morning his nurse said he was referring me back to Endo.  Your advice is better, anyway!!  I've learned more on this forum than in any doctor's office. 

Advice welcomed!!

Thank you :-) 

Jaye 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

PS

My TSH raised from .015 to .07 in a month.  .4 - 4 is range.  I'll learn T's tomorrow and post. 

• Posted

I found my tests online.

EOSINOPHILS  0.0-6.0 ... 11.1

ABS. NEUTROPHILS 1.8-7.0  ... 1.75

The only 2 out of range in CBC panel are above.

WBC 4.0-11.1     4.33

TSH 0.49-4.70    0.07

FREE T4 0.71-1.85     0.99

T3,FREE 2.3-4.2         

Liver Function

SGOT (AST) 5-50    28  

SGPT (ALT) 5-65     31

3.3TOTAL BILIRUBIN 0.2-1.3     1.0  

Does all look good to stay on 10 mg of Methimazole? Or safe to reduce?  My T3 dropped minimally. Was 3.5 last month but Free T4 has dropped a lot from 1.87 to .99

What do you think?  And which is secreted by my nodule, T3? If so, it's still active but why would T4 drop?

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks!!

• Posted

T3 Free is 3.3  (it didn't copy over)  range 2.3 - 4.2   did not drop much from last month.

• Posted

Your Frees are in a good place at mid-range.  Your TSH definitely rose because of the L-Carnitine.  It us a real balancing act.  If you take Acetyll, your TSH will rise extremely quickly but your Frees will drop to the bottom of the range or further , depending on whether you can get checked shortly after starting it.  In my case, my Endo did not lower my Meds until my TSH rose more.  When she did adjust the dose, she dropped it from 10 to 5 mg and that was too much.  I got a rebound effect in 2 weeks.  So if you want to try to lower your meds, I would not lower by more than 2.5 mg at a time.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda.

Could I do a 250 aceytl carnitine for a better boost over the regular? Maybe that won't nosedive my T's? I just want to get off this higher dose of methimazole asap. 

• Posted

250 mg acetyl is a good place to start.  Can you get blood work done within 4 weeks?
    • Posted

Yes,  the Endo put an order in for labs so it would be ready before my 4/24 appt. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and see him for the follow up.

If I do 250 acetyl -  stop the liquid L Carntine?  and Stay on 10 mgs Methimazole till I see him?  So hopefully, if my TSH raises, he'll down dose me by 2.5 mgs. 

I'll go for the blood on the 20th. So I'll have 2 weeks on acetyl before testing. 

• Posted

I would lower the dose of Regular but not drop it altogether.  Take 1,000 to 2,000 mg.  If you do this, also pay attention to how your are feeling in your body.  If you get side effects like palpitations, then you might have to drop Regular more or take the Acetyl every other day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.