Slow transit test last resort

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS c.

My GP finds piling me with laxatives is the solution yet i find these can often make me worse.

I wonder if i struggle to tolerate fibre due to low transit after suffering with an eating disorder for 11 years. I'm now at my best weight in over 6 years but things are just getting worse because I can't seem to find a solution to help me with my symptoms. I have done some research of my own as i feel my GP is just making excuses to why my digestion is as bad as it is. Often I get told it's all in my head,but i know what I am experiencing is not normal and is effecting my life and wellbeing. I an hoping to get a slow transit test to find out if food travels to slow which could be the main cause but I have no idea how I would do this. Does anyone have any advise how I can self refer or go private and what cost I would be looking at?This is my last bit of hope now x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have a redundant colon which basically means it is longer than normal, with more twists and turns resulting in me having slow transit, you wouldn't know you have redundant colon unless you have a colonoscopy, my colonoscopy could not finished, only one half, I then had a barium enema for the rest, redundant colon also called tortuous colon, you can look this up online plenty of info, I have IBS could be related to the colon issue or maybe not, anyway I generally follow the FODMAP diet, I eat sourdough bread, chia seeds, drink Kefir a strong multi strain probiotic, hope this info helps.

• Posted

Thanks

Do you have any recommendations for probiotics that have worked for you

• Posted

Hi, I eat probiotic yogurt, I also make Kefir, there is milk kefir and water kefir, I've made both, now just making water kefir these are very good multi strain probiotic drinks they have a long history and have been made for hundreds of years, you can buy kefir at some Polish shops etc, but I make my own it is very easy you can buy kefir grains, will send you a DM.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.