So...2nd Blood test

Posted , 2 users are following.

In one month - (and sketchy compliance on the meds) I have plummeted from FT4 being so high the number didn't register in the lab (100+) to 26 (just in the lab's normal range) TSH still super low<0.05 and t3 is also down from 44 to 9.8.

the hospital think it's a nodule or nodules. i still can't see why i can't remain on the carbimazole since it's so clearly working. has anyone's doctore prescibed tablets for goitres? without wanting to kill the thyroid. and="" t3="" is="" also="" down="" from="" 44="" to="" 9.8.="" the="" hospital="" think="" it's="" a="" nodule="" or="" nodules.="" i="" still="" can't="" see="" why="" i="" can't="" remain="" on="" the="" carbimazole="" since="" it's="" so="" clearly="" working.="" has="" anyone's="" doctore="" prescibed="" tablets="" for="" goitres?="" without="" wanting="" to="" kill="" the="">

the hospital think it's a nodule or nodules. i still can't see why i can't remain on the carbimazole since it's so clearly working. has anyone's doctore prescibed tablets for goitres? without wanting to kill the thyroid.>

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your antibodies tested?  What dose of meds were you on?  Meds are prescribed to block excess thyroid hormone no matter what the cause of the excess is.  So yes you can be given meds for goiters if they cause excess thyroid hormone production.  Usually they reduce the dose of meds until you are able to come off of it.  They may have felt since you had such a dramatic reaction to the prescribed meds that you would go very hypo if they did not stop them.  I often see these dramatic reactions in patients who have Hashimoto's disease. 
    • Posted

Sorry I worded that horribly. TSH 0.05, I have no antibodies. No other Graves/Hash symptoms apart from dry eyes...which I suppose could be coincidental. The doctors want to do an RAI if it's a single and surgery if it's a multi nodule. I am still on the Carbimazole and my dose has been halved - I still feel my thyroid is taking a hammering. I just feel that such an attack is a bit over the top, I clearly seem to react well to the meds and it's such early days so why can't I stay on meds for a year and see if it goes away, the radioactive "destroy everything" approch doesn't seem necessary to me.
  • Posted

Carbimazole was 15mg, then 40mg now 20mg
  • Posted

I agree with you that you should be able to stay on meds and not have the drastic measures treatments.  I know some people have surgery because the nodules are blocking their throat or swallowing or something like that but that is not common for all nodules.  If you are okay with it, you should be able to stay on meds and you get to say what happens to your body.  You may want to add some supplements to your treatment to help the meds to work better.  I added Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 mg and vitamin D 1,000 mg and Magnesium 200 mg.  Hyperthyroid patients get deficient in vitamins and minerals when their metabolism is running so fast. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.