So fed up! Feel like I'll never be better

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on fluoxetine before for 7 years and it worked a treat for me and started working at just over 4 weeks. However I've been on it now again for 9 weeks and I've had a good spell about 4 - 5 weeks and another good spell about 7 - 8 but I've been really struggling for the last week and feel so bad at the moment. Just looking for some thoughts on this. Is it just a blip or am I screwed! I have shakey hands and sweating in my forehead a lot. That feels like anxiety and I don't sweat when I'm feeling a bit better, often in the evenings. 

Just so tired of feeling like this. I just want to feel better and don't know why it's not better by now. I'm going back to see the doctor in 3 weeks and if I'm still feeling like this I'm thinking of asking to increase my dose but I'm scared of all the side effects that come with that. I tend to get them quite bad. 

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I take it you came off the medication and have restarted again?

I took them for 15 years and had a break for 1 year.  I restarted them again in August and had forgotten how the side effects were.  I'm better again now.

When taking this medicine you'll be up and down for weeks, probably months, with the down periods getting less and less until they eventually stop.

Reading that you had a good spell 4-5 weeks and another at 7-8 weeks suggests to me that this is what's happening.  It just means the medication is working, and this is normal when recovering.  I'd forgotten this, but have also experienced this second time around.

People often make the mistake of thinking they're not getting better, when all it is is the side effects and this up and down period.  Upping the dose will just give you more side effects, so I would just ride it out at the moment, and let it pass.  

It might have worked in 4 weeks for you the last time, but it might be taking longer this time.  If it's worked for you before, then it'll work for you again.  Don't go looking for answers as to why it's taking longer .... maybe you're expecting it to happen quick and are making yourself anxious.  Just accept how you're feeling, and it'll come soon.

So much patience is needed.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks Kate.  That's what I'm hoping but feeling so bleak today. It's hard going on but I have a lot to live for and want to beat this bloody illness! 
    • Posted

It's horrible isn't it.  I was ill for many years until I started on SSRI's, then recovered.  The worst illness I've ever gone through and never want to go there again.

You'll get there again ....... just patience, and don't try to hurry it.  It'll come in it's own time.

Keep in touch.

K xx

• Posted

my understanding is that it CAN take a significant amount of extra time for the effects to work if you are taking them for a 2nd or 3rd time. and the longer yout took thn for before, the longer it may take for the full impact to be achieved a second time. you ay also require a higher dose like you suggested. but not decessarily. It might be worth seeing your doctor now to discuss this with him, as well as another appointment in 3 weeks. that way you can make a bit of a plan together and he can either reassure you, or have some wonderful medical explnation that we on here just arent getting quite right '-). And he may decide a different way forward altogther, or make a plan to ensure thesde can work their best for you. Ive often found both myself and other clients (yes, therapists can stuggle too) often will for somethng to go away so badly that they place so much emphasis on the pill. i certainly know i ahve done that at times. but the pills can only help. we must make other changes too. either psychologically, or phyically. doing something physically differen, even doing physical exercise, whatever you find enjoyable, or  even just a walk if thats sometjing you dont usually do. each day after dinner. they can make the worl;d of differemnce and help the medication work fully. These drugs work on the happy hormones in your body by not letting them be absorbed back up. if no happy hormones are secreted at all, then there arent going to be moads left to keep in the body to keep you happy! i realise i've gone a bit off topic there. sorry. i hope what ive said may be helpful for someone though, even in just a small way xx

• Posted

Going to go to the doctor later this afternoon.  We'll see what that produces.  Hardly slept a wink last night. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.